RIDING TIPS FOR NEW AND EXPERIENCED RIDERS - Page 16 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 03:12 AM

Model: VT700 & NV750
Year: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmyrick View Post
May have already been touched on about clutching at stops.

I am probably one of the few if only ones here that donít do it. Why? I was unfortunate enough to have an equipment failure ( clutch cable broke in an area I could not see on inspection) bout 3 decades ago. Had I not been stopped a little short of the intersection, instead of lurching and dying BEFORE going into traffic, it would have lurched, and died (and me!) in traffic.

Probably not a popular opinion, but there it is.
I've also had a clutch cable break. I still generally do it until I have a "shield" behind me, then I might put the bike into neutral and relax the hand for a bit.

My concern isn't equipment failure but my hand giving out, eg if I've been doing a lot of clutch work for some reason that day and the arthritis is being a pain.

However, I believe you're more likely to be hit from behind then to have a failed clutch send you into traffic, and keeping the brakes on (esp the rear) would hopefully stop the bike before it gets too far if your cable/hydraulics were to fail

I have had a close call - stopped at a set of lights with my bike outside the line of the car in front (rather than parked behind them so I had somewhere to go). SUV driver behind me started reading his paper, not watching. His car wasn't stopped like he thought it was. I had to move or get stomped, so I did. Poor person in the car I passed had no where to go. The stupid twit SUV driver only looked up from his paper to wonder why his POS suddenly jerked. Real glad my only involvement was giving a witness statement, not a damage list!

@Coop - from the context I'm assuming @jrmyrick means the practice of having your bike in gear, clutch in, when you're stopped at intersections just in case you need to make a quick getaway (eg you see someone coming up behind you who has no chance of stopping).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRider View Post

@Coop - from the context I'm assuming @jrmyrick means the practice of having your bike in gear, clutch in, when you're stopped at intersections just in case you need to make a quick getaway (eg you see someone coming up behind you who has no chance of stopping).
Yes! Always be prepared to leave FAST if the traffic behind you doesn't see you! There was 2 couples killed several years ago down South of us. They were stopped at a redlight no ding their own business and got rear ended. They were related and both couples had kids. Kinda pays to keep yourself on your toes traffic stops.

Photobucket stinks!

Ride Bell By The Bride and Canyon
Retired bell by Old Dad
2 time BOTM winner
06 VTX Glide & 05 ST1300
post #153 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmyrick View Post
While at a stop, the bike is in gear, and you are engaging the clutch.

Just what I always have heard it referred to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, gotcha!
Yes, I do that at EVERY STOP!
Too many people use stops as breaks to light a smoke or whatever...
Safest bet is to have clutch in, bike in 1st and watching mirrors.
At least that's the way all of the courses I have take have recommended stopping.

Photobucket stinks!
I might pop it in neutral long enough to stretch but yeah I'm same way. Ready to move if someone isn't paying attention.
post #154 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 11:22 PM

Model: VT700 & NV750
Year: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsrt44 View Post
I might pop it in neutral long enough to stretch but yeah I'm same way. Ready to move if someone isn't paying attention.
I'm the same. If I either have a few vehicles stopped behind me (ie would take a huge truck to move them) OR I have a decent clear road behind me and can see there's nothing there I'll go to neutral and stretch/relax (especially at a longer stop). Otherwise, bike in gear in a position where I can make a getaway and mirrors firmly watched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page