RIDING TIPS FOR NEW AND EXPERIENCED RIDERS - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:35 PM

Re: RIDING TIPS FOR NEW AND EXPERIENCED RIDERS

I'm a dummy - exactly what is a high beam mondulator?

Never should have bought a bike! I'm hooked! Old GRANDMA can't seem to get off the darn thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 AM

A high beam modulator is an electronic device that you wire into your system that modulates (alternates) between the high and low beam. Since the low beam stays on all the time on a motorcycle, it basically flashes your high beam. It is illegal to have one modulating during hours of darkness and it must be turned to a position that disables it. Very effective in gaining attention and being noticed.
There is also a brake light modulator that flashes the brake light several times when the brake is applied and then lights the brake light solid. You can also replace the brake light bulb with a super-bright LED bulb or add another LED light to the existing one. I have one that I bought but have not installed yet that will practically blind you up close if you are not expecting it. It does a lot of good lying on my shelf.

Ride Safely,

Ed

Ed in Jeffersonville, Indiana
MSF Rider Coach
Proud Viet Nam Vet U.S. Army
Retired U.S. Air Force
Total Disabled Veteran
Journeyman Machinist, Certified Welder
Streetrod Enthusiest
Patriot Guard Rider
post #23 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory
The funny thing is, I don't think I was banking that much and I'm not a speed demon!!
My guess, based on seeing it a LOT .....and having done it myself in the past........

You maybe weren't going fast enough and, more importantly, had the bike leaning too much because your BODY wasn't leaned enough. The more your body leans (toward the inside), the less the bike has to lean.

It is sometimes referred to as "pushing the bike down". Seen from the back, while the bike is leaned over, the rider is still straight up.....effectively leaning the wrong way.

In my early riding years, I developed that bad habit and it was a bear to UN-learn it because it just felt funny. Probably not good to experiment with changes to your riding style in traffic the first time though; find an empty parking lot !!
post #24 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 AM

Any body following this post can be master driver, i know there is hell and heaven difference in theory and practical of riding but still beautiful description. In our country we don't have so much rules as we low traffic and narrow road.
post #25 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to goupil91
Great Write up!!!!!! i learned so much just by reading and from other riders expirences.... Thanks
post #26 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 01:01 AM

Recent illumination

I don't have a lot of riding experience(like 12k miles), but I learned something the hard way just recently that wasn't on the list, and I figured I'd share it. I was riding a '08 250 Kawasaki Ninja(I know, but I've got a Shadow now.) Anyway, I was with some friends(while under the influence), who were following me in a truck. I was messing around, riding wayyy too fast, like, "Hey guys, look what I can do!" Long story short, I came into a corner marked for 30 at around 70, and got owned. The bike went down, I went through a tree stump, and tumbled down the shoulder of the road for a while. Separated shoulder, 2 broken ribs. I got lucky, I probably shouldn't be alive. Moral of the story? Don't show off. That's what I got out of it, anyway. That, and don't ride like an idiot.

I don't know much about bikes, but I'm learning.
post #27 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nyiles
Headlight modulator

The tip about the headlight modulator is a great one. I bought a comagination unit a while ago and I couldn't believe the diffrence. They really do help you get noticed. It was the most (and cheapest) mod I have put on my bike. After seeing first hand how great it works, I'm going to have to get a brake light modulator as well. Cagers have really taken notice and I have alot less close calls.

Larry

Larry
2006 Spirit 750 (VT750DC)
post #28 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:05 PM

Thanks for compiling all of this useful information. It has made me think about a lot of things I would have had to learn first hand.
post #29 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 08:51 AM

I bought my first bike in 1966 from a another 18 year old. He showed me the brakes, clutch and gears and pointed me down the road. I learned some safety and other riding tips from an uncle who had been riding bikes a long time. In the next 6 years, I owned 2 more bikes. I don't think the MSF was even around in those days. Fast forward to 2009. I bought a bike after not being on one for 37 years. The neighbor I bought it from said "you never forget how, but to be safe, take the course." So, after 3 months of tooling around, I took the course and very glad I did. I had never heard of the counter steer (push right, go right) thing and after some practice, I've realized that it is the cat's meow. I don't understand the physics of it but it sure does work and will get you out of some bad situations. I agree that the course is mainly common sense but it's still things you wouldn't think of without someone pointing them out. The course was rather grueling but it was a well spent weekend and worth the money. I recommend it to everyone who is thinking of riding a motorcycle. I haven't taken the advanced course but I am considering it.

ride safe and enjoy it

post #30 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:20 AM

Good Stuff Gang!

Imagine if this only helps one rider and the families counting on them to be safe.
Now Imagine more than one rider and those families.

Good Stuff Gang!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in