Hello, new member from St. Louis, MO. - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Hello, new member from St. Louis, MO.

Hi, I've been lurking a while and after buying my Wife a VLX 600, I decided to join up. Having never riden before, this is my Wife's first bike. After riding on my back seat the last year she decided to give it a try. So, when she showed the slightest bit of interest, I rushed out and picked up the '04 VLX. It seemed like a good starter bike she could keep more than a few months without wanting to upgrade right away. After sitting on a few bikes, she confirmed what I thought so we bought it. She has been practicing in parking lots a few times, and yesterday started the BRC course. Unfortunately, day 2 is today, and she has been up all night very sick. She basically spent all night in the bathroom . Anyway, I thougt I'd jump in and say hello. Here is a pic of our bikes.

Click for larger pic:

Hers: 2004 Honda Shadow VLX 600 Deluxe

His: 2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:21 AM

Welcome from northwest arkansas, wish the best for your wife.

Vettes & Bikes Ride it and Drive it Like U Stole It
1988 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette
2007 Honda Sabre
2002 Honda 450 Foreman
2000 Polaris 500 Magnum
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:21 AM

Welcome

Welcome!

03 Black Ace
04 Silver FLHRSI
Rob
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:49 AM

Welcome VLXINMO!

My story is almost exactly like yours. Wife wanted to learn to ride and we got a VLX600 this fall to get her started. She's been practicing in the drive, parking lots, and campgrounds, but can't take the BR Course until next spring here.

I hope your wife gets something worked out today. Sucks to be sick when you're trying something new and challenging. Let us know how it went!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 01:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to cyranodb Send a message via Yahoo to cyranodb
Hi. Welcome to the forums

I am the ghost rider. I'm nothing more than a faint image out of the corner of your eye, and just as easily dismissed. I am the lone wolf, a shape in the dark on the hill. I am the faint howl you hear in the wind.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 01:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to dwmitchell61 Send a message via Yahoo to dwmitchell61
Re: Hello, new member from St. Louis, MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLXINMO
She has been practicing in parking lots a few times, and yesterday started the BRC course. Unfortunately, day 2 is today, and she has been up all night very sick. She basically spent all night in the bathroom . Anyway, I thougt I'd jump in and say hello.
Uh... is it the flu? Food poisoning? Or do we foresee a sidecar purchase in your future

Just kiddin, welcome aboard and have her sign in too, when she's feeling better...

I was wondering, a neighbor of my parents had bought a 600 Shadow and it was a "hardtail", he complained it wasn't comfortable due to that fact, do you put less air pressure in the tires on those to compensate for the "hardtail"?

David W. Mitchell
Patriot Guard #145143
Standing for those who stood for us.
American Legion Rider Kenn-Pasco Chapter 34

1999 Honda Valkyrie F6 GL1500C
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boringrally
Welcome VLXINMO!

My story is almost exactly like yours. Wife wanted to learn to ride and we got a VLX600 this fall to get her started. She's been practicing in the drive, parking lots, and campgrounds, but can't take the BR Course until next spring here.

I hope your wife gets something worked out today. Sucks to be sick when you're trying something new and challenging. Let us know how it went!
No way she will work something out today. She literally spent all night in the bathroom, so she didn't make to her final class day. I do hope they can maybe fit her in next week maybe? It would suck to have to pay again and start all over.

Hope your Wife is gettin' the hang of it. Mine is having a blast riding in the parking lots. She has a constant on her face while riding.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Re: Hello, new member from St. Louis, MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmitchell61
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLXINMO
She has been practicing in parking lots a few times, and yesterday started the BRC course. Unfortunately, day 2 is today, and she has been up all night very sick. She basically spent all night in the bathroom . Anyway, I thougt I'd jump in and say hello.
Uh... is it the flu? Food poisoning? Or do we foresee a sidecar purchase in your future

Just kiddin, welcome aboard and have her sign in too, when she's feeling better...

I was wondering, a neighbor of my parents had bought a 600 Shadow and it was a "hardtail", he complained it wasn't comfortable due to that fact, do you put less air pressure in the tires on those to compensate for the "hardtail"?
Yep, she suspects food poisening. I feel so bad for her having to miss her class. I doubt I'll need to sidecar. She is having too much fun learning to ride.

Not sure about the hard tail. I thought the VLX was a soft tail since it has a hidden shock. I just inflat the tires to what the manual says, and it seems fine. The only thing I find uncomfortable is the OEM seat.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 03:52 PM

Welcome to the forum, hope your wife finishes up the course sometime!

MaineMan

GoodBye Lola -- 2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE DLX
Hello Layla: 2006 V-Strom 650
Maine Patriot Guard Rider
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 04:03 PM
J3B

Send a message via MSN to J3B Send a message via Yahoo to J3B
welcome New Member...why dont you drive down to south louisiana and eat some crawfish and alligator?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page