Missouri Helmet Law - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Model: Sabre
Year: 2003
Missouri Helmet Law

Is it true that you are no longer required to wear a helmet in Missouri unless you are on an interstate? Anyone have any info on that? I heard it from a "semi-reliable" friend?

Thanks in advance for any info.

2003 HONDA 1100 SABRE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 02:10 PM

Something is clearly in the works:

http://www.clutchandchrome.com/News/...ews0903036.htm

This article suggests it's now law:
http://www.semissourian.com/story/1524213.html

2004 Shadow Sabre
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Yep, that's true. The only stipulations are that you must be 21 years old and you cannot be riding on an interstate highway.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:41 PM

Last I heard, it had passed the house but not the senate. That was a couple of weeks ago. Don't matter to me, will still wear my helmet.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Model: Sabre
Year: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin
Yep, that's true. The only stipulations are that you must be 21 years old and you cannot be riding on an interstate highway.
That's exactly what I heard. Thanks for the info, although I believe I'll still wear my lid. Kind of a pain in the a** to have to pullover and put on your helmet when you hit the interstate? Where are you suppose to stow the helmet while riding?

2003 HONDA 1100 SABRE

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Garage
If it is true, how nice of them to give the serfs a little taste of freedom, but I would suggest it is dangerous, rebellions have happened over such little tastes.

Skulz..it ain't just a bike thing to me

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 07:08 AM

How cool is that? Let freedom ring!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 07:38 AM
rmw

Government in action. Make people put on a helmet where it is statistically safer to ride and then allow you to take it off when it gets more dangerous. Stupid. Either have it or don't have it but don't dream up some BS compromise that is mornic. There are way too many elected officials that need to be moved into the private sector where actual results count.

Best and Ride Safe
Rick

Dearly Departed 2004 Sabre...RIP
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 08:38 AM
kcr

According to the MO legislature website, the bill has passed a House committee and is not law. Below is a summary of the bill.

SCS/SB 202 - This act provides that operating a motorcycle, in and of itself, shall not be considered evidence of comparative negligence. The act also provides that when investigating an accident or settling an automobile insurance policy claim, no insurer, agent, producer, or claims adjuster of an insurer shall assign a percentage of fault to a party based upon the sole fact that the party was operating a motorcycle in an otherwise legal manner. This provision is similar to SB 505 (2007).

This act also exempts persons 21 years of age or older from wearing protective headgear except when operating or riding motorcycles or motortricycles upon interstate highways. The motorcycle helmet exemption expires on August 28, 2014 (Section 302.020).
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcr
According to the MO legislature website, the bill has passed a House committee and is not law. Below is a summary of the bill.

SCS/SB 202 - This act provides that operating a motorcycle, in and of itself, shall not be considered evidence of comparative negligence. The act also provides that when investigating an accident or settling an automobile insurance policy claim, no insurer, agent, producer, or claims adjuster of an insurer shall assign a percentage of fault to a party based upon the sole fact that the party was operating a motorcycle in an otherwise legal manner. This provision is similar to SB 505 (2007).

This act also exempts persons 21 years of age or older from wearing protective headgear except when operating or riding motorcycles or motortricycles upon interstate highways. The motorcycle helmet exemption expires on August 28, 2014 (Section 302.020).
Almost the same law here in Arkansas. I think it works.

Quote:
Chapter 20, Operation of Motorized Cycles; Subchapter 1. Motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and motorized bicycles; Section 27-20-104 Standard equipment required . . . (b) :
"All passengers and operators of motorcycles and motor-driven cycles used upon the public streets and highways of this state shall be equipped with the following equipment under standards set forth by the Office of Motor Vehicle of the State of Arkansas:

(1) Protective headgear unless the person is twenty-one (21) years of age or older; and
(2) Protective glasses, goggles, or transparent face shields

I'm a old, heavily armed, ponytailed, techno-redneck! 2013 NC700X

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page