clear hand deflectors heated gloves, heated grips - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

clear hand deflectors heated gloves, heated grips

my hands froze last year and Im thinking hand deflectors might help. I dont want to do a difficult mod such as taking off my grips and installing new ones or buying expensive heated gloves , but Ill need something for the winter. ANy suggestions?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 11:17 AM

How cold does in get in Georgia? Is something like this what you had in mind?

http://www.discountramps.com/atv-handlebar-mitts.htm

I can tell you from experience that heated gloves are definitely a luxury to behold in the colder weather. They are not difficult to install nor super expensive.

Happy trails.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 11:45 AM

I have Gerbings Heated Gloves, and they are great.... BUT.... they don't have flexibility..... So I switched to Heated Grips.... That, and my Thinsulate gloves with gauntlets.... Work until late November here on Shadow, into December on Goldwing....
By the time I would switch back to Gerbings, It's cold enough that I've lost interest....

Does give me at least 2 months of added riding...

My vote is for Heated Grips.... Unfortunately I used "Custom Heat Heated Grips" and I can't find them on internet any more....

Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:37 PM

When I had my VY1100C, after I installed the Harley fatboy bars on, I installed the inexpensive pad-type grip heaters they sell for atv's and snowmobiles. I installed them INSIDE the bars, though, so they were a clean look, yet reached 98 degrees when it was 30 degrees out. Best $30.00 I ever spent on that bike. Only problem is the stock bars have a plug/weight welded in the ends, and you would have to drill out the welds that hold those in to install on a stock bike. The Harley bars had no weights in them, and were $25 on E-bay, used. So....$50-$60 bux and they can be had! I ran the wires inside the bars, and out a small drilled hole (with grommet) by the risers.-----Metalguy

2010 Crossroads.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 02:23 PM

Re: clear hand deflectors heated gloves, heated grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaloka
my hands froze last year and Im thinking hand deflectors might help. I dont want to do a difficult mod such as taking off my grips and installing new ones or buying expensive heated gloves , but Ill need something for the winter. ANy suggestions?
thanks
There are many battery powered heated gloves which when used with handlebar muffs allow me to ride under 30% w/o a problem. I moved to tourmaster heated gloves last winter, these were no better than el cheapo battery power gloves ($125 versus $35), except I do not have to charge them up before going on a ride.]

I ride year round, the glove in a glove effect (plus waterproof effect) of the handle muffs provides me with warm and comfortable hands all winter. The bad thing is getting used to working within the muffs - finding all your switches like high beams, horns, and the most often hit by accident the kill switch.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 05:25 PM

with my old MS fats shield , my hands would be frozen riding to work in 25 to 35 weather. after getting the Batwing on the bike, I have yet to have this problem.

Ray
2002 "Honda Davidson"
Shadow ACE 750

Ride Bell by docc30
My Bike Album http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee302/Macgyver0856/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

mcgyver- what is the width of your batwing? end to end?Do you have the inner fairing as well? any recommedations if I get a harley fairiing? brackets/no brackets? etc....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 11:50 PM

never actually measured it . it covers the grips , except for maybe the very outside edges. the older batwings (mines from a 1976 HD FLH) didn't have the inner/outer fairing pieces. I got mine off of ebay and I looked for one with the brackets to minimize the amount of fabrication I'd have to do to make it fit my bike. I had some minor cracks in the gelcoat to repair and then painted it to match my bike. all in all I have much less into it then the new MS batwings. IMO the HD batwings look much better anyhow.

here's a nice one right here with brackets , although the sellers rating sucks....lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-H...Q5fAccessories

Ray
2002 "Honda Davidson"
Shadow ACE 750

Ride Bell by docc30
My Bike Album http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee302/Macgyver0856/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:22 AM

Oxford Hot Hands heated motorcycle grips cost about $60 man they get hot. They are easily to remove when the cold weather is over.

Loving without expectation and leading without imposing your own will.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:08 PM

I just get some charcoal heated up and put a few in each pocket. Then when I'm at a light I just put my hands in my pockets for a few aaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Spirit 750C2

Peace through Discipline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page