New rider question. Riding into the shade at near sunset. - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

New rider question. Riding into the shade at near sunset.

Hey gang. Just would like to know anybody's thoughts about riding into deep shadows with the sun glare dead in your face. I was using really good sunglasses under my full face helmet. My faceshield is clear and I just about couldn't see anything in the shady spots ahead. Didn't trouble me too much till I came to an intersection with a car almost rolling in and I didn't see him until I was nearly on him. I assume a reduced speed is the only way to provide some safety but is there anything else that can be done to help this, aside from waiting for the sun to set? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:49 AM

I can't say I recommend it, but when I'm riding like that, and if it's safe to do so, I'll leave my right hand on the bars, and hold my left hand out to cover the sun. Looks dumb as all get out, but it does work.

As a safety note, when riding with the sun low on your back, it will completely hide your headlight from oncoming traffic. You are 100% invisible at that point. Not much you can do about it other than weave a bit in your lane to get some lateral motion that traffic might see. I always look for my shadow (the one on the ground, not the one I'm riding) when I'm riding. If it's right in front of me, and strethes down the road, I know people can't see me.

--Justin

Currently Running Stable:
2010 Honda NT700V
1986 Shadow 700
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:10 PM

One of my first rides was with a friend of mine and we started out on some back roads with curves. It was about 0730 (August time frame) and the sun was just high enough to shine in your face. I was wearing a 3/4 with a clear face shield and sun glasses. We were traveling in an Southeasterly direction.

After several blank outs because of the sun glare on the face shield, and it seemed to do this only when going into a curve, I took the face shield off. I now wear a 3/4 with a large visor and no shield. No more problem.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfoster
One of my first rides was with a friend of mine and we started out on some back roads with curves. It was about 0730 (August time frame) and the sun was just high enough to shine in your face. I was wearing a 3/4 with a clear face shield and sun glasses. We were traveling in an Southeasterly direction.

After several blank outs because of the sun glare on the face shield, and it seemed to do this only when going into a curve, I took the face shield off. I now wear a 3/4 with a large visor and no shield. No more problem.
This is a real problem for those of us born before 1960. Those eyes just don't adjust to the changes in light quickly enough. It was so bad last year heading south on the brp that I had to cut the ride short and get a hotel room. I'm going to put the visor for my 3/4 in my saddle bag. Thanks for the tip.

A smart remark is the most effective means of birth control. Paulie

2006 Star Stratoliner Midnight,1986 VT1100C
Ride Bell by Maggie and Chris
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 PM

This tip was passed to me by Barry - bullzeyet

Two pieces of eletrical tape strategically placed inside the lower part of the full face helmet shield (side to side)- fool with tapering the edges a little to keep from losing any peripheral - then in the sun lift the shield and you have a built in and adjustable visor as needed.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:39 PM

I just turn my ball cap around so the visor is in front. Works great!

In any given situation...it's not the reality of the situation that bothers people...it's their skewed perception of the reality of said situation that bothers them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan07
I just turn my ball cap around so the visor is in front. Works great!
What a novel idea! Unlike this guy:

84 vf1100c Magna, new toy!
86 vt1100c Shadow, sold.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbjr
This tip was passed to me by Barry - bullzeyet

Two pieces of eletrical tape strategically placed inside the lower part of the full face helmet shield (side to side)- fool with tapering the edges a little to keep from losing any peripheral - then in the sun lift the shield and you have a built in and adjustable visor as needed.
+1

I did close to the same thing, except I bought a small roll of Limo Black window tint at Pep Boys, cut 1" strips, and applied it to the inside of my visor at the top and bottom. You can see through it just enough to make out your speedo needle or neutral indicator if you need to.

The top is great for when I want to have the visor down at freeway speeds, and then when I'm crawling along in traffic, by flipping up the visor, the strip on the bottom edge of the visor blocks the sun out just like the brim of a hat, or your hand.

I was lucky enough to find a cheapo used mirrored/shaded visor for my helmet on Craiglist locally to experiment with for this and now plan on modding my regular clear visor in the same way for the coming winter months, for when the days get shorter and I'll need the clear visor for the evening ride home after sunset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page