So....why are motorcycle tires so blasted expensive??? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

So....why are motorcycle tires so blasted expensive???

I noticed that my front tire barely has any tread left in the middle of the tire. I've been looking around at tires and found that they are more expensive than any tire I've ever bought for any of my vehicles...including my GMC Suburban.

There are so many to choose from and I really want a longer wearing tire that will hold the road. I've seen many of you tout about Avon and Metzler tires.

Why are they so expensive? Anybody got a good source for reasonable priced tires? The Honda dealership is asking $290 for the front and the rear tire for my Shadow and then $95 per tire for mount and balance.

Thanks,
Dennis
PGR # 173509
Ride Bell by ButchA & a_hippie
1997 Honda Valkyrie Tour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 09:37 PM

you need to go to another dealer i paid about $200.00 for my front tire including mount and balance.they charge $50.00 for mount and balance,not $95.and its a metzler.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 09:54 PM

You can buy a set of Metzelers for $254.00 If you take the wheels off and carry them to cycle Gear, they will mount and balance both for about $50.00

-James-
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:15 PM

I have found Dennis Kirk to be the cheapest around, even with shipping. Every tire I've bought thru them has been new current tires with no blems.

A local indy shop mounts and balances for $20 per.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common/Frontpage.jsp

I smell a darkside thread in the making.....

GoldWing. Nothing else needs be said...
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:47 PM

I've never had a tire last more than 7K, so now I use $65 tires from DennisKirk , and mount them myself. You would need a bead breaker, tire spoons, and air compressor to get the bead to catch again though.

1984 Goldwing Aspencade
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 11:17 PM

To answer the OP's question...

Motorcycle tires are more expensive than car tires because of demand.

How many car tires are there on the roads? Millions? Billions? And they are usually sold in sets of 4.

MC's only have 2 wheels and each one takes a different tire. And you only buy one of each.

The manufacturers need to make a profit after R&D and mold making and the like so each tire is more expensive because they sell less of them than car tires. Simple supply and demand.

Sucks but that's the way it rolls...
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 PM

Model: Sabre
Year: 2002
Garage
Only comment I make is "yes" they are not cheap, but for me I want good rubber under me, I use the ME880's and get over 15,000 miles on the rear and 20,000 on the front, so for me I'll spend the extra dollars....

http://s33.photobucket.com/user/eldo....jpg.html?o=11
"John" 2002 Sabre
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider Chapter 84
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 01:44 AM

IRC wildflares. Great tires at a cheaper price. I used them on my '89 VT1100c for 50,000 + miles. (wore a few sets out) They stick well in all weather applications, and wear well. -----Metalguy

2010 Crossroads.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 04:01 AM

Re: So....why are motorcycle tires so blasted expensive???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
I noticed that my front tire barely has any tread left in the middle of the tire. I've been looking around at tires and found that they are more expensive than any tire I've ever bought for any of my vehicles...including my GMC Suburban.

There are so many to choose from and I really want a longer wearing tire that will hold the road. I've seen many of you tout about Avon and Metzler tires.

Why are they so expensive? Anybody got a good source for reasonable priced tires? The Honda dealership is asking $290 for the front and the rear tire for my Shadow and then $95 per tire for mount and balance.
That's incredibly expensive.
I paid $80 for a Bridgestone for the rear and $15 to mount it.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 08:33 AM

Here's one more vote for the IRC Wildflare. Got the same mileage out of one of those as a Metzler 880, and a heck of a lot cheaper. I like the Metzler in the rain a little better though, so I run an IRC on the rear and a Metzler on the front. I replace the front with every other rear, so it works out pretty good. Local bike shop here will mount and balance for $15 a rim if you bring the rims in. This is a lot easier on my bike since I have a center stand, but a few tire changes will more than pay for a bike jack in the end.

--Justin

Currently Running Stable:
2010 Honda NT700V
1986 Shadow 700
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page