Stopping Big Iron - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
rmw

Stopping Big Iron

Last weekend I was around two riders who both were riding new'ish purchases. One was a VTX-1800 and the other was riding a Yamaha 1900. One rider had moved up from a Honda 1300 and the other previously owned a 1100 V-Star.

Watching from behind I noticed that on several stops both would ocassionally tip the bikes when making normal stops. No drops but it did look a bit precarious.

There's a bit of a change in braking technique that most folks who ride big bikes use that may be worth knowing if you ever decide to move to a really heavy bike or even test ride one. A VTX-1800 weighs in at around 800, I imagine the Yama is a bit more, my HD Ultra is 880 lbs wet and GW is typically a bit over 900 sitting on the curb. When these bikes get to tipping, things can get out of hand pretty quick and if you put a passenger on the back, well it is a whole different game. So being able to stop straight and straight up becomes a priority.

The BRC will tell you to use both brakes through a complete stop. Normally that works peachy. But what a whole lot of folks do on bigger cruisers and tourers is when the bikes gets below 10 mph or the last several feet is use only the back brake. This keeps braking inline with the frame, helps upright the bike a bit and also helps overcome those nasty pavement imperfections that can move the front tire out of alignment and thus tip the bike. Keep your eyes up and straight ahead.

Now before someone starts screaming, this is for planned, geezer rider type stops and not running up on a light or stop sign and slamming on the brakes. You have to be going slow enough that you aren't going to skid. Skidding is bad, ok? But so is dropping a bike if the front tire is out of line and you are on the front brake.

Best and Ride Safe
Rick

Dearly Departed 2004 Sabre...RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to White Knight
works great on small 440# supersport bikes too

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:30 AM

Re: Stopping Big Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw
if you put a passenger on the back, well it is a whole different game. So being able to stop straight and straight up becomes a priority.

But what a whole lot of folks do on bigger cruisers and tourers is when the bikes gets below 10 mph or the last several feet is use only the back brake. This keeps braking inline with the frame, helps upright the bike a bit and also helps overcome those nasty pavement imperfections line.
This has become a the technique of choice with my wife onboard. We are pushing 1000 lbs. total on the 1100. Thus I wish I had a old style "standard" MC for low speed handling. Still looking into that for a 2nd. bike.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:58 AM

Gee, I've been doing it right all along.

1996 VT1100C2 ACE
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out.

Formerly: 1985 & 1987 Honda Rebels
Currently:
2004 Shadow Spirit VT1100C (Mine) & 1987 VT700C (The Wife's)

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:59 AM

Re: Stopping Big Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw
But what a whole lot of folks do on bigger cruisers and tourers is when the bikes gets below 10 mph or the last several feet is use only the back brake. This keeps braking inline with the frame, helps upright the bike a bit and also helps overcome those nasty pavement imperfections that can move the front tire out of alignment and thus tip the bike.
Very nice tip, and even with my mid size bike and my own weight (appx 800lbs total) I tried using this with this mornings practice ride.

Worked great, looks like a good technique even with any bike.

Thanks!
Eric

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:09 PM

Makes sense, diving the front forks down is too much feedback for some to handle.

1984 Goldwing Aspencade
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to SysUs128
Thanks for the tip. Even though my bike is only 500 lbs, I'll give it a try on my way home from work this afternoon.

Dan.

1980 Suzuki GS550 (sold)
2003 Honda Shadow 750 A.C.E.

(will post better picture when I take one.)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to White Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolride
Makes sense, diving the front forks down is too much feedback for some to handle.
? i think its feed back telling you there is an issue with the bike. 'a lot' of fork dive is indicative of an improper suspension setup. with the suspension loaded like that and either at or near the bottoming out point one bump is all it takes to move the bike into a realm that no one can control.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:33 PM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
That sounds about like my typical braking maneuver, I ain`t give it no thought till now though...
I have been known to "skid" the front tire in a panic stop too... (scared the CRap outta me too!!!)
Just Make SURE there ain`t nothing on the pavement that`ll give way while HARD on the front brake!!!
AND DO NOT turn them handlebars!!!

Motorman says "if you look down, You`re going Down..."

Coming home last night, I came across a whole herd of Deer and was in a situation to use the brakes hard, All went well...

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page