Twistiest Rides - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 10:40 PM

Garage
Starved Rock area is always good for a ride. Boone county has some decent old farm roads as well. You really just have to go get yourself lost to find the good ones. Isn't that the point anyway?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 11:01 PM

Join me and the boys for The Snake. US 421 between Bristol and Mountain City. All are welcome. Bring your camera. You don't want to miss this one. August 8th. I got motel rooms reserved at the EconoLodge. Send me a message if you're interested. I'll fill you in on the details.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 12:31 AM

Any word on the twistie route in WI?

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 11:59 PM

Garage
I know a short and tight twistie in Wisconsin. Just happened upon it today actually. The appropriately named Snake Rd off of HWY 50 in Lake Geneva.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 10:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billp View Post
Illinois is really short on good twisty roads but the Galena area in NW Illinois has a lot of good roads. Just mapquest or google the area and you'll be able to find something to your liking. Closer to Chicago is the rte 2 ride along the Rock river from Rockford to Dixon -not really twisty but a nice ride.

billp
The Galena ride is definitely a good one. Hills, twists, sweepers, switchbacks, great views...you name it it's there. You can head north out of town and follow the stagecoach trail for another fun ride or head south down Blackjack Rd to Savanna if you want something a little more intense with nice views.

There's plenty of good rides in Northern Illinois. You just have to venture away from the cement to find them.

In fact, we just made the Galena trip today. Headed north on the Stagecoach Trail and looped up through Wisconsin on our way back. 250 miles for the day and loved every second of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1436151333175.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	124665  
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 11:22 PM

These roads are pretty much at my doorstep. If I head further east, there are quite a few other twisty roads that also allow for a more "spirited" pace.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Twisties.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	124689  
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 11:49 PM

Another decent route although a few of the roads are a bit rough...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gatineau Run.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	124705  

Last edited by sidejam; 07-05-2015 at 11:55 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 12:17 AM

Garage
No shortage of twisty roads around me, some elevated with great views

A pic from Yesterday

can sort of see the type of roads we have, We went on some more interesting tight roads after that, One day I will have the camera running for these roads... but for now here is a bit of footage of one I like, Not overly tight but still fun

Another Iconic road..... some is gravel and narrow so not for everyone (if the link works)

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-39.1...2928,15z?hl=en

My Bike before and after , Any day spent on the bike is a good day
VT1100C Shadow (1993)
VT750 Aero
TRX300 (Hunting Quad)
DRZ400E (my dirt bike)

For the kids to use
XR250
Rm80/Honda125 (1972 TL engine )
GN250

Last edited by Leathel; 07-06-2015 at 12:40 AM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 06:55 PM

If you are looking for a fun ride start in Dodgeville Wi and follow 23 20mi north to Spring Green. Head 25 miles west on Highway 60 along the Wisconsin river to Sauk City. All of that is 55MPH two lane and it is a great ride right there but if you need more follow 12 north and look for signs for Devil's Lake State Park also get lost riding around there and Moon Valley, Merrimac and Lake Wisconsin. Loads of cliffs, overlooks, lakes, switchbacks, long bends, tight turns and cows. They make up for having shitty sports teams by having some of the best scenery in the Midwest. I'm not even sure if there is a bad road in the area. I do not live there but I've been here 10+ times and always find a new road with things to see but my wife says I am a "View hore" and I'll look at anything.

Another good ride is to start in Dubuque, Iowa and follow US20 to Galena then follow Blackjack road to Hanover the continue south to Savanna (45ish miles). Cross the Steel (cheese grater) bridge into Iowa and follow 52 north back to Dubuque. If you are feeling a little more adventurous continue south on the Great River Road on the Illinois side until you come to East Clinton and cross into Clinton Iowa then head north on Iowa's Great River Road.

Want to SEE that? Follow this link to a video I made

Go Hawks! Go Cubs! Puck the Fackers.

2004 Shadow Sabre
Cobra Classic Deluxe Slashcut pipes
Highly modified Lightning Performance 3" forward controls
Saddleman Extra Jumbo saddle bags
Wide Touring One-Piece Vintage Seat with Driver Backrest

Last edited by ZimmyBuffett; 07-29-2015 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Adding video link
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 03:58 PM

This is a copy I put on another forum.

Just start out in Boscobel,WI. head north on ANY alphabet road to Wildcat Mountain , then do The Mindoro Cut, Then To La Crosse and Grandads Bluff.
'

54348.3 in reply to 54348.1
I could go on and on about The Driftless Area, but I`ll try to make it short.

Make sure you hit

Wildcat Mountain -

The Mindoro Cut-

At the North end of The Mindoro Cut you can stop to eat here - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-D...22290384451220

' http://www.foodchallenges.com/challe...oro-wisconsin/

If you have time go to Arcadia,WI. and ride the scenic roads south and west of town including Alligator Slide Road.

Ride to La Crosse , WI. and go up to Grandad`s Bluff. If you ride up fast enough, your ears will pop!

While in La Crosse eat at Buzzard Billys - New Orleans & American Cuisine | Buzzard Billy's Restaurant | La Crosse, WI

In Boscobel WI. here`s a good place for a early morning breakfast - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Uniqu...15034491847668

Unique Cafe, Boscobel - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

I like staying here in Boscobel,WI. - The River Inn Motel, Boscobel hotels, suites, near state snowmobile trails, Southwest Wisconsin lodging, hotel reservations, Wisconsin

'

If you`re going take a "Flower Sniffing" ride on The Great river Road, stop here for a burger - Smokin' Chokin' and Chowing with the King: Pete's Hamburgers: Since 1909

'

"All I want to do is ride my machine"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page