Twistiest Rides - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Twistiest Rides

Due to the serious lack of twisties in the Chicago area, I thought this thread would be a good place to post our favorite roads and routes.

The only close ride with changes in direction and elevation is on Sheridan road, near Highland Park. It travels through a ravine and has some reducing radius turns and sweepers while changing directions....very nice....short, but nice.

Also, I like riding through the lagoons on Forest Way between Dundee and Willow, just east of the Edens expressway. Either exit will take you to this nice but short ride. Nice views of the water, good places to stop and smell the roses, very nice long sweepers, decent speed limit (45 or so, but most people drive 55 and ride 65 Again, just too short.

A guy on another forum mentioned Rt. 33 in Wisconsin, but I have yet to venture to those parts. sAid it was comparable to the dragon...I wonder.

Any good routes you may be aware of, I would love to hear about them. A good twisty is just too hard to find.

- Dan

"All the gear in the world won't help stupidity." --- Oldbike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:29 PM

Illinois is really short on good twisty roads but the Galena area in NW Illinois has a lot of good roads. Just mapquest or google the area and you'll be able to find something to your liking. Closer to Chicago is the rte 2 ride along the Rock river from Rockford to Dixon -not really twisty but a nice ride.

billp

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 11:05 PM

Yes, riding along rivers usually can reveal some decent roads to ride, scenic and often curvy too. Hit those river towns and get some local sites or food in.
Tim

2003 sabre
It ain't out of the way if that's where your going.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl60446
Yes, riding along rivers usually can reveal some decent roads to ride, scenic and often curvy too. Hit those river towns and get some local sites or food in.
Tim
Looks like the Fox River ride south on the way to Starved Rock is a bit twisty - good idea on following the rivers. Will google map Illinois when I get a chance.

-Dan

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:38 PM

Just as you leave Savanna heading north turn right on Clay St. It goes just east of the Palasaids park and has some very nice twisties very little traffic and good senery.
Head up to Wisconsin and go to Spring Green west of Madison. You'll find an abundance of twisty roads with elevation changes. I haven't been there my self but some sport bike buddies recommended it. It you google the area and select the terrain feature you get a good idea of what it's like. If there's any interest I'm up for a day trip if dates can be agreed on.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion". Abraham Lincoln

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red03ACE
Just as you leave Savanna heading north turn right on Clay St. It goes just east of the Palasaids park and has some very nice twisties very little traffic and good senery.
Head up to Wisconsin and go to Spring Green west of Madison. You'll find an abundance of twisty roads with elevation changes. I haven't been there my self but some sport bike buddies recommended it. It you google the area and select the terrain feature you get a good idea of what it's like. If there's any interest I'm up for a day trip if dates can be agreed on.
Will let you know when I can make it up that way - even though you're a Sox fan...

go Cubs!

-Dan

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 06:36 PM

Dan,

Right now a week from Sunday looks like a good possibility. It's a long day so leaving early would be a good idea. I'd like to go to Spring Green in Cheddarland if that's fine with you. And don't expect me to keep up with you if you're riding one of those crotch rockets.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion". Abraham Lincoln

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red03ACE
Dan,

Right now a week from Sunday looks like a good possibility. It's a long day so leaving early would be a good idea. I'd like to go to Spring Green in Cheddarland if that's fine with you. And don't expect me to keep up with you if you're riding one of those crotch rockets.

You made the point in your last posts - not in a position to fix a date with any certainty at the moment.

Sounds like a good ride tho.

- Dan

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 07:43 PM

North IL

This morning me and a few others went out for a ride then breakfast, we farm road hopped...Crystal Lake through Bull Valley then over to Wonder Lake and then over to Hebron...55MPH there, long wooded hilly roads...was a great ride about 3 hours

1983 Honda Shadow vt750
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

I have a buddy in Cary, Illinois and we have free Harley rentals for 24 hours, unlimited mileage. We're thinking a camping trip, and some of these rides may make the list. Supposedly, there are some good rides in some unknown roads in WI - I'll get back to you guys hopefully with some new info.

Guy on FZ1oa (another forum) says he has mapped out rides comparable to the Dragon in Wisconsin. Will report back soon.

- Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page