Quebec riders... anyone ride between Nov 15 to April 15 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quebec riders... anyone ride between Nov 15 to April 15

As of Nov. 15, Quebec drivers will have to equip their vehicles with snow tires from that day each year through to April 15.

I was just wondering if this snow tire deal applies to Motorcycles....?

Jamie

Full Patch Crazy Canucks Rider
Southern Ontario Chapter #1

http://www.canuckriders.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:40 PM

Re: Quebec riders... anyone ride between Nov 15 to April 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by meester_jamie
As of Nov. 15, Quebec drivers will have to equip their vehicles with snow tires from that day each year through to April 15.

I was just wondering if this snow tire deal applies to Motorcycles....?

Jamie

Could be interesting if it does...cause I think Ontario will be next with this legislation. I put them on both my vehicles, all four tires. Radials are ok the first season when they are new, but after that..they aren't good for winter driving, especially on ice. I have far better stopping power with my snows.

I believe "vehicle" as defined in the Highway Traffic act includes "motorcycles"........

....Rick

Crazy Canucks Rider
Ride Bell by Kara

"Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 10:11 PM

Quebec is much further north than you people in the banana belt, so having this law on the books for them makes sense. In Ontario, I think they'd need to regionalize, or stagger the implementation dates to recognize the climate differences.
As snows aren't availble for bikes, they'd effectively be legislating them off the road, wouldn't they.

Ottawa John, Sasquatch Sue,
& the Eastern Valley Boys

"If you don't know where you're going, You'll probably end up some where else!"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 PM

I have always run two sets of tires on my car myself but like you I now wonder about the bikes.

Being from Quebec (or Canada for that matter) I believe this law makes sense. All season radials are a good compromise but the formulation of the rubber compound used for them make it that they lose adherance when it gets cold.

The problem is not going it's stopping.

I don't like the idea of having a date imposed, I usually wait as late as I can in order to reduce wear on the winters. It also make you wonder about early spring or late fall bike rides

Regardless it still does not make for better drivers. Nor does it make up for lack of experience in icy conditions.

---------1994 VT1100 Shadow--------
Bell by Kara
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I think they'd need to regionalize, or stagger the implementation dates to recognize the climate differences.
As snows aren't availble for bikes, they'd effectively be legislating them off the road, wouldn't they.
Does this mean the Insurance companies would have to lower their rates, as we wouldn't be able to ride the complete year? I pay for a full 12 months in 6 months (it's called pay as you ride, through TD) Without "snow tires" for a motorcycle, we would be effectivly be pulled from the road, during those months. It may sound silly, as most might think that you can't ride during those months anyway, but with the weather being so "spring like" right now, there has only been a couple of days that you couldn't (or shouldn't) ride. (sorry for the extream runon sentence)

Some people are like slinkies, absolutely useless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 PM

"Does this mean the Insurance companies would have to lower their rates, as we wouldn't be able to ride the complete year?"

Right. Good Luck with that one. Actually, once upon a time we could buy seasonal insurance, but it was cut out years ago.
And JamesP must live in that aforementionned banana belt - while we had a few unseasonably mild days here recently, I wouldn't want to have gone riding. The snow banks were too high, and when melting they made road conditions pretty sloppy. The heavy rain that we had finally took care of the snow banks, but that wouldn't have been any fun. Not riding conditions here, "beyond the banana belt." I'll just let time and nature take it's course - spring is on the way.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 03:07 PM

Well,,,, I don't know about banana belt, but we do grow a lot of peaches and grapes. I live in St Catharines, Ont and while I've heard the big TO has had so nasty weather, here it's been quite nice. I've counted (actually heard) what I can only assume to be a Harley at the stop sign on our street a couple of times today already.

Some people are like slinkies, absolutely useless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 12:33 AM

Hey JamesP -
Enjoy the weather - you've got it good. I was down your way after New Year's - I have inlaws in Ancaster - and I was surprised by the amount of snow there. But it is nice through that area - lots of grapes!
I grew up in Sarnia, and we always called it the banana belt through there. We could grow peaches, pears, grapes etc. in our back yard, but not here in Ottawa. It's suprising how much difference the little bit of northeastern distance makes. A few short hours drive and we're into an entirely different climate and vegetation. But I don't really mind - I lived in Winnipeg for a few years, too. Again, a different climate and vegetation.
But to keep this thread on motorcycles, when I went to Ancaster, I left the bike at home. There.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in