Sturgis Rally 2013 Discussion - I'm Riding Mine - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Talking Sturgis Rally 2013 Discussion - I'm Riding Mine

Just wondering if anyone else is heading to Sturgis this year. I think it would be cool to meet up with some other Shadows on a couple of day rides while we are out there.

This will be our first trip - I'm taking the wife, and my father-in-law will be riding out as well. We originally had a lot of "yes men" that said they would ride out with us, but now that it is time to cough up the dough for the campground registration our group of 9 has dwindled to 2.... Shocker...

We are planning to stay at Broken Spoke - We will most likely ride in on the 3rd or 4th and heading back on the 8th. We will be riding from central Indiana, so if anyone wants to link up just let me know.

Also, any advice is greatly appreciated. We have done some decent weekend rides to Nashville, TN and Deals Gap, but this will be the longest to date. But I have a week and a half of vacation time and I'm planning to use all of it, so we shouldn't have to cram any uncomfortable miles in.

Any suggestions on where to ride? Where to eat? Events to put on the list?

Ride Safe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 AM

Me, brother, dad, and a couple of buddies are plannin to do the iron butt from kentucky to the badlands. We will probably go to sturgis but not during the rally. i would hate that. to many idiots there.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, that is what I've heard...

I will go downtown one day just for the experience - I think it may be one if those things I want to experience once... But I'd rather cover some miles with good scenery than to sit in long traffic lines all day. May never do it again - but then again I at love it.

Either way, good luck and safe travels to you guys on your trip. When are you heading there?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 AM

My advice would be to schedual so you catch the last couple days of the actual rally and a few days the week following the rally so you can truly enjoy the sights that the black hills area has to offer.
There will still be several bikes in the area the week after but no traffic jams.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 02:18 PM

In 2010 we went there NOT during bike week. LOL it was a ghost town. We were the ONLY bikes there. lol all 4 of us. Everywhere we went No traffic NO other bikes. We might see 6 to 10 bikes a day. And that was in July. Be sure to tell your "no show" friends, that back out on you, " No Shirt for You" you want one ya gotta EARN it! LOL. Have a safe great trip
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 317Sabre View Post
Yeah, that is what I've heard...

I will go downtown one day just for the experience - I think it may be one if those things I want to experience once... But I'd rather cover some miles with good scenery than to sit in long traffic lines all day. May never do it again - but then again I at love it.

Either way, good luck and safe travels to you guys on your trip. When are you heading there?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Thanks man. we will probably go in around 3 weeks. not sure though.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 PM

Garage
Lofty goal is to ride from Minneapolis to (Howard) SD and load the bike into the Econoline for the remainder of the trip. I have a group of HD friends who are riding from Brookings/SF and I'm going to haul the remaining gear in the truck.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer friendly View Post
In 2010 we went there NOT during bike week. LOL it was a ghost town. We were the ONLY bikes there. lol all 4 of us. Everywhere we went No traffic NO other bikes. We might see 6 to 10 bikes a day. And that was in July. Be sure to tell your "no show" friends, that back out on you, " No Shirt for You" you want one ya gotta EARN it! LOL. Have a safe great trip
After High School ('96-'97) I spend two years working at Wall Drug. Rally time is CRAZY busy, but before and after Sturgis desolate. It's strange to see, actually.

If you are out there before and/or after, there is still FANTASTIC riding around Strugis, Keystone, Spearfish...The Black Hills and Badlands in general. In fact, I would love to take an extra week off to go camping in the Badlands out in the middle of nowhere. We used to do it when I worked out there and it's truly remarkable.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 AM

Local Rally Freak

Greetings, I am a local (well actually, I live 25 miles from Sturgis) and look forward to the Rally every year. If this is your first time, you definitely need to check out downtown at least once. You are staying at one of the better campgrounds, we always make it a point to visit the Broken Spoke a time or 2. One ride I would highly encourage is the Devil's Tower run (from the Spoke, take Hwy 79, then Hwy 212 to Belle Fourche, then Hwy 34 to Alladin, Hulett, and then the tower). I live on Hwy 34, just 4 miles west of Belle Fourche (just 1.5 miles from the Stonehouse Saloon -- make sure you stop there for a time), feel free to swing in to my place and have a meet and greet, let alone a brew or 2. Your can let me know if you are interested and I will give you details. There is always a good crew at my place during the rally, and we can give you some local color! If you are looking for a really crazy day for that run, do it on Wednesday, as that is the big day is Hulett -- No Pantie Wednesday is not what is used to be, but it still turns a sleepy little town of a few hundred into a mass of humanity and motorcycles for a day -- great people watching place. Also, Sundance Wy, is one the way, either going or coming, and that's the big "burnout" celebration day -- something else to experience.

Anyway, look me up if you feel like it, be glad to point you around and offer what advice I can.

Poppaschanz

Schanz

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W. C. Fields
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:22 PM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
Yeah, and thank you for the heads up poppa, we visited town hall and I wear my belle force pin as proudly as I wear my Rode Mine 2011 patch...
I will return, but $$$ just ain`t there this rally...
5700 miles total for our excursion to Sturgis...
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page