Thinking about Sturgis this year - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 AM

Garage
If you're looking to camp, my girlfriend's aunt lives a couple blocks from main street and rents out her yard for $25 per person per night. You have to bring your own tent but the price includes use of the bathroom/shower, use of the grill and she has a fridge outside but you have to jockey for space with everyone else. PM me if you're interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 AM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
My next Sturgis will be a LOONNNGGG one!!!
I`m thinking a month to complete the travel with MOST of the time in the area...
14 days total was NOT enough!!!!
7 days just teased this Ol` Biker,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 11:23 AM

We always stay about 30 miles away in Rapid City. Campgrounds generally aren't too savory anymore. I think the crowds have overgrown the infrastructure. Overfilled port-a-potties and the like are rampant... doesn't matter if it's one of the big ones like Buffalo Chip or something smaller. If you show up a couple of days early, some of the locals have deals set up, either for a room or yard space. It's kind of hit or miss though.
Sturgis is a hoot!!! Bring plenty of money!!! One thing a lot of people don’t think about though is you also need to bring a mechanically sound bike... brand or type doesn't matter... and you have to be proficient in operating it at slow speeds and in large groups. Waayyyy too many yahoo's go buy a brand new bike, or rent one somewhere and end up bouncing off other people or causing wrecks because of their inability to operate it or they show up with a mechanics special and find themselves sitting alongside the road half the time with overheating issues.
There are numerous fantastic organized group rides and things to do and see. You might see R. Lee Ermey and get a chance to try out a new Victory, test ride a new Indian, numerous custom bike shows, nudity, debauchery, alcohol abuse and biker churches... take your pick or do them all!!!! Stay a couple of days afterwards and you'll have an opportunity to cruise some phenomenal roads and see some of America’s epic signature views.

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another" Ernest Hemingway
HAFND

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 PM

Garage
best riding is before or after the rally I hate riding during to many people that don't have a clue how to ride in that kind of crowd. I don't care if you've been riding for 20 years its a whole different animal riding at Sturgis
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 07:34 PM

Garage
Just got off the phone with some of our group.

I am currently looking at heading out during the last week of July, spending the week with the family in E. South Dakota, then heading West on Saturday or Sunday. We have a cabin with another group from Denver. Tuesday night is Alice Cooper & Motley Crue, so probably spending that night in the 'chip.

There's no such thing as "Spare Time" or "Free Time" or "Down Time."
Time is time. All you have is "Life Time." GO.
-- Henry Rollins
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 10:27 PM

Garage
I'm planning on going to see motley crue myself. Maybe we can meet up and I will buy you a beer
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 PM

Garage
Tickets have been bought for Tuesday, 8/5 - Alice Cooper & Motley Crue @ the Buffalo Chip. RC, hopefully see you there.

There's no such thing as "Spare Time" or "Free Time" or "Down Time."
Time is time. All you have is "Life Time." GO.
-- Henry Rollins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page