Final drive oil change ? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Final drive oil change ?

Hi all! Wondering if anyone can answer a question for me. I'm going to change the final drive oil on my VT1100 Shadow. The manual calls for 90w Hypoid Gear oil. My local Honda dealer sold me Honda HP Trans Oil SAE 80w/85w to use. Will this be ok to use? Thanks for the help?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:09 PM

im pretty sure my manual (86 vt500c) calls for SAE 80w-90w so i would say its ok. im sure someone with your exact model will chime in

1986 Honda Shadow VT500c
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:09 PM

Which Manual?

I think I used 80/85 when I changed mine.

Just be careful when you tighten that plug. Don't torque it, just snug it to compress the "O" ring or you'll be running to the dealer to buy a new one.

Your bike should be on the side stand when you fill or check it. The fluid level should come up level with the bottom of the fill plug hole with the bike on the side stand..

Don't worry if you see some oil weeping out of the chrome vent on top as you ride. It's normal when the oil expands. If it wasn't able to do that it would explode.

'98 Shadow 1100 ACE

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:27 PM

Standard 80W-90 will work just perfectly! It is essentially 90W oil when it heats up, but flows like 80 weight when cold to gets the gears lubed quicker. perfect for your bike!

And welcome to the nut-house!

--Justin

Currently Running Stable:
2010 Honda NT700V
1986 Shadow 700
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

Welcome to the horde.

And as others have already stated, the gear oil is fine.

Martin
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 PM

Talking rear diff fluid

I just changed mine I am using a clymer manual It states to have the bike off the side stand and straight up and down to check and fill the rear diff. I did torque the fill plug and drain plug with a new gasket on the drain plug, no leaks I need to double check the manual. Also a foot note the clymers manual says to get NEW caliper mounting bolts to reinstall caliper I have never heard of this I just added a drop of locktite and torqued them.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoklr View Post
I just changed mine I am using a clymer manual It states to have the bike off the side stand and straight up and down to check and fill the rear diff. I did torque the fill plug and drain plug with a new gasket on the drain plug, no leaks I need to double check the manual. Also a foot note the clymers manual says to get NEW caliper mounting bolts to reinstall caliper I have never heard of this I just added a drop of locktite and torqued them.
Not knowing your bike model/make this is quoted from a Honda manual.

Honda Manual Procedure.

FINAL DRIVE OIL

LEVEL CHECK

Place motorcycle on its side stand on a level surface.

Remove oil filler cap.
Check that the oil is up to the loweredge of the oil filler hole.

Pour recommended oil thru the oil filler hole until it reaches the lower edge of the hole.
4.4 ounces recommended for 1997 & up 1100 Spirit & 1998 & up Ace Tourer. 9 ft.lbs. of torque for the filler cap. (5.1 ounces if a complete teardown is done.)

Not doing it this way causes overfill and d**n mess. How do I know? I had a Clymers and done it as stated. Supposedly a overfill not corrected can cause damage. I assume if the air space in the hub assembly is lessened by excess fluid it will probably cause the oil to "froth" thus not lubricating properly. A situation that more isn't better. It was explained to us a couple years ago by "Litin" which is somewhat a respected mechanical "guru" on the forum.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.

Last edited by h13man; 04-01-2011 at 12:05 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 AM

im like 99% sure my manual says to do drain it on the side stand and fill it on the center stand. that is what i did and i had no excess leakeage from the relief after riding. of course this is for bikes that still have the center stand. the casing would be adjusted for bikes with only side stands to account for the additional oil necessary. remeber, too little is bad but too much will just leak out and provide the right amount. messy of course but its a fool-proof application

1986 Honda Shadow VT500c
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoklr View Post

I checked with my Honda dealer. They say it is an error in the Clymer manual. I'll be picking up a genuine Honda service manual instead. (2006 Shadow Sabre)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:38 AM

The shop manual in the sticky and my original owners manual say to place bike on the Center stand. This is for a VT500C. Can any VT500C peeps chime in if they do side stand or center stand please.

Crash

1984 VT500C Shadow Ox Blood Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page