Honda Shadow Forums banner

kickass wiring problems

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Macsvt 
#1 · (Edited)
hi guys, I am in the process of rebuilding a 1986 VT1100C and all is going great until I came to the wiring, the whole loom was 'snipped' at the headstock when the previous owner decided to put a bandit front end on it.
Consequently there is no switchgear or fuse box to work to etc and all I have is a bunch of wires that stop at the headstock.

I have located 2 (very badly scanned) wiring diagrams for this model in the pdf manual covering 86-97 one of which matches up with the ecu wire colours so I am assuming it is the right one, however, the wires that leave the loom at the other end have no relation to the wiring diagram colouring that should lead to the fuse box/ switchgear / headlight etc.

I have followed the loom expecting to find a massive joining block somewhere and it doesn't appear to have been jointed at all.

Anyone help?.... pretty please?

#2 ·
Don't know if this would help identify anything but the 20 wires coming out the loom are:
Grey
Green/Red
Black
White?Green
Brown/White
Brown
Brown/Black
Red (thick)
Green
Yellow/Green
Blue/Black
Orange
Light Blue
Light Blue/Red
Green/Orange
Blur/Red
Yellow/White
Black/White
Yellow/Red
Green/Yellow

#4 ·
thanks buddy, thats the one i got but the problem is the only parts that match what I have are the colours from the ecu on the first diagram are the only ones that match what I have although my harness appears to be 'factory'

#6 ·
thanks again buddy but the shipping costs to the uk are crazy and then we have to pay import tax and the value added tax and the postal service handling tax and on & on it goes.... gonna just have to find a way of fixing the harness I have, if I could find out what all those colors relate to I think I could do it

#8 · (Edited)
Most riders here are from North America, so know the most about NA bikes. If you are from the Uk you should update your location. For Europeans, go to Honda Shadow Owners Club UK - join our friendly community for free!

They have European wiring diagrams.
Yes thanks but my bike is NA and there is no such thing, to my knowledge, as a european vt1100, they don't sell them in england, every single one has been imported from US or Canada.

Also, I have been a member of HSOCUK for about 3 years now racking up over 1400 posts, including many project posts showing hints and tips on anything from metal polishing to frame alterations to custom paintwork to riding advice on many differing makes of bikes but I have always been able to get a wiring diagram for my projects... until now, and I have never had this particular situation with any bike in the past and wiring has always been my worst nightmare anyway and no-one on that forum appears to have a diagram or the knowledge to help on this subject so I thought I would give this forum a try hoping for someone that understands the problem or has the correct diagram.

#9 ·
I have now discovered there is a manual that covers '85-'86 and my diagrams are from a '86-'87 manual.. does anyone know if there is a difference? could be what I'm looking for if anyone has a diagram from that manual

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.