Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 04:55 PM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
Thank you, As always, HSN Does it AGAIN!!!
Thank YOU!!!!
John boy asked me to look up cross reference for his 05 VTX, and it is listed along with more useful information for our Bikes...
Many Thanks to all who make it happen,
Dennis

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 11:24 PM

Garage
Promotive 4610 filter

I have Promtive filters at my shop, they are entry level filters, but I've cut one apart and their conmstruction is decent inside, WAY better than Fram, thats for sure! What do you guys think? I don't have an owners manual for my bike, temps here now are still under 70F, thinking I should go for 10w40 eh? Going to go with Shell rotella t oil

post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 04:34 PM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
And I found a problem with the FRAM 6017A cross reference to my 98 VT750, it will not fit...
It Will NOT screw on...
IF you want something done the way you want it done, it is best to do it yourself...
Chickenman felt the urge to gift me a free oil change, and I told him the filter and oil I use specifically...
I use the NAPA Pro-select 21358 filter and Castrol GTX 10W40 with good results...

He bought what he wanted me to have I guess?

I`ll see how the Castrol High Mileage 10W40 works...
I hope it works better`n the FRAM 6017A

I got the Shinko tires on though,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillable aRed View Post
Pure One filters have considerably more filter media in them that may restrict oil flow in a smaller motorcycle engine verses a larger, say, V6 or V8 automobile engine.
MORE media means greater flow, not less. Also, a smaller engine requires LESS media, not more.
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
MORE media means greater flow, not less. Also, a smaller engine requires LESS media, not more.
That's a fools comment. Both points are false. There is no generalization here. The size of the engine does not necessarily determine the amount of media required and certainly more media does not mean more flow.

Last edited by skullcap; 11-12-2014 at 07:34 PM.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Captain D" View Post
And I found a problem with the FRAM 6017A cross reference to my 98 VT750, it will not fit...
It Will NOT screw on...
IF you want something done the way you want it done, it is best to do it yourself...
Chickenman felt the urge to gift me a free oil change, and I told him the filter and oil I use specifically...
I use the NAPA Pro-select 21358 filter and Castrol GTX 10W40 with good results...

He bought what he wanted me to have I guess?

I`ll see how the Castrol High Mileage 10W40 works...
I hope it works better`n the FRAM 6017A

I got the Shinko tires on though,
D
I found my fitment problem, Wrong filter in the right number box!!
It pays to look!!
Quote]
My mistake!!!
First thing I did this morning once we got together was look at the problemchild filter numbers as > 4769 is the number on the filter out of the 6017 box...
I take the blame for this mistake, OR rather the factorys mistake who put the wrong filter in the right box...

I shouldda looked yesterday,
D
[unquote

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
Enjoying Life,D

post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the info! will be doing a oil change soon so will use this information
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 10:55 AM

I prefer Wix filters, but they can be a bit expensive depending on the model. The O'Reilly Auto parts site, you type in the part number, at the bottom of the page, there is a compatibility tab. If you click on that tab, it will show you different cars that filter is used on. For example, the Wix 51356 will fit a 93 Ford Probe GT with a V6. So I searched for an oil filter for that car, and was then shown ALL the filters that they sell that are similar.

Point is, I can get a house brand (MicroGard, made by Puralator), but has a part number almost identical to the Wix (51356 to MGL51356). For the record, by bike is a 01 Sabre 1100.
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 12:50 PM

I did not find a reference number for a VT750C A (09 Shadow Aero) filter. Could someone help please?

2009 Honda Shadow Aero
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 01:31 PM

Garage
What brand are you looking for?

2006 VLX Named Ida.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page