Honda Shadow Forums banner

Cutting off pipes

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  mpierce72 
#1 ·
What's going on fellow riders well I have a 03 vt600 and I'm trying to bobber it out but still keep it classy. First thing on my List I want to do is cut my exhaust pipes and put tips to Weld them. Has anyone done thos before and if I do this will I have to adjust my carb

#5 ·
if you take the baffles out, the exhaust will flow more air. More air through the engine without more fuel means you will run lean. You will need to rejet

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
you are corect, it will cause a leaner air/fuel mixture..... That means you will have to ADJUST the carbs. Depepending on HOW lean you get determine how much adjustment is needed. Thoses adjustment could include adjusting the pilot screws and/or adding/removing intake or exhaust restriction , and/or jetteing adjustment.

Note you always start and end any AF adjustment with adjusting the pilots and idle screws. Anything else, ie jets or flow control, is just an INTERMEDIATE step, when required.

#11 ·
Maybe an old thread, but to answer your question on how to remove the baffles, I hope this helps you (Holesaw Mod)...
LINK to write up on how to do it... :smile2:
BTW, if you bike has FI, this mod won't have any effect on the fuel side, so no adjustments will be necessary.

#12 · (Edited)
As good as New > Old Threads are good for information... :)
Archives are always historical & sometimes hysterical ;)

Nonetheless I have no idea whether my carbs were adjusted, rejetted or not, BUT, it came to me with "straight Pipes" With NO baffles...
I`ve since installed Stock exhaust (Thanks @Aced It :D ) with no performance issues...

SO, I recommend putting on the exhaust OR Modificating to your desire, then enjoy a ride down the road in varying conditions and decide for yourself...
What with our combined experience, Our Gurus will help you decide which way to go...
>>> There ate many helpful comments already >>>

We are Family,
D

Therapy = working through it!

#13 · (Edited)
... `ve since installed Stock exhaust (Thanks @Aced It :D ) with no performance issues...
You're very welcome. What'd I do?
:grin2:

To the OP: When I built my exhaust, I built it from the heads back. Meaning, I modified the front pipe by removing the smaller inset pipe which was designed presumably for better back-pressure due to the pipe being longer than the rear one. However, I also built my own "adjustable" baffles which when everything was tuned properly between jet sizing and bending the baffle tabs resulted in an awesome sound and absolutely no deceleration popping/gurgling. It takes time to get a custom job done right. Simply cutting stock mufflers off will NOT produce desirable results (to me) and WILL eventually lead to burning your exhaust valves.

Here's a link to some photos of the front pipe mod: http://s736.photobucket.com/user/exit39/library/Motorcycle/VLX-600/Exhaust/Front

Here's a link to some pics of the baffles: http://s736.photobucket.com/user/exit39/library/Motorcycle/VLX-600/Exhaust

#18 · (Edited)
Exhaust mods/Jets are ALWAYS in discussion here :D
BUT I got "caught" too ;)

I Gotta find me some handlebars,
Dennis
Captain D, there is a guy who goes by motor_psychol_i on instagram, he makes custom pipes and bars for Honda Shadows. Plain jane bars, no paint, are 275 and pipes start at 375 depending on the style. I should say too that he makes mini apes that he says do not need long cables. He claims you can use your stock cables on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.