VT1100 C-another charging issue - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

VT1100 C-another charging issue

Battery died and left me stranded last week. Recharged battery and checked voltage while grinding starter and voltage did not drop below 11.0V so i think battery is OK. Checked voltage at battery while bike is running and have 14.1 at idle, drops to 12+/- while holding steady at about 3500 rpm then suddenly drops to about 6-9 V after about 30 seconds at higher rpm. Is regulator engaging and reducing voltage to battery because it us fully charged, or do I have some other problem?

I will be checking the yellow wires under the seat for burned or corroded connections that I have seen on this forum, but I am concerned about the voltages at the battery at 3500 rpm. I think they should be higher.

I have also been reading about upgrading the regulator/rectifier to an aftermarket MOSFET unit. Any thoughts about this is also appreciated.

Greg

...Nothing in moderation...

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:43 AM

They should kind of work the other way around but within a more tolerable spec. It should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 - 14 volts at idle and higher to a peak of less than 15v at 5k rpms. You're r/r is no good, its shunting voltage when it shouldn't hence you're low reading. Replace it with a newer MOSFET style r/r and you will be good to go.

But if you want to be more thorough to make sure your stator is good, check AC voltages across the yellow wires (2 at a time) and it should be around 20vAC at idle and upwards of 50-60vAC around 5k rpms. If that checks out, then it is your r/r for sure.

Damian

Image is pointless if you don't do the riding part; get out on the road and out of the bar!

'00 Sabre

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:48 AM

Check the three yellow wire connections and stator. If they all check out ok, then I recommend the Mosfet upgrade. Even with a new battery, I was still using a battery tender regularly during the riding season, with the stock R/R on my Sabre. After the Mosfet upgrade, I have not needed the battery tender at all. Battery stays charged. I also added a digital voltmeter to keep an eye on the voltage. The Mosfet R/R solved my charging system weakness.

2000 Shadow Sabre VT1100 C2

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 11:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Greg View Post
...or do I have some other problem
You need to go through the diagnostics to find out. All we can offer is guesses and opinions.

Sounds like you have a voltage meter. Is it a multimeter? Or do you have one? If not, get one. (Digital is better but analog will work just fine.)

This post has some links to diagnostic how-to videos.

Art's 1999 Shadow 1100 ACE (Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient)

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:42 PM

i had a charging issue on my 99 ace 750, went with the mosfet upgrade and glad i did, no problem starting and charging. one of the better upgrade for your bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page