How did you paint your bike or what did you pay? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

How did you paint your bike or what did you pay?

Looking into how much it'll cost me to get my bike painted. She is a blue color I am not too fond of. Need tank, both fenders, under seat covers, and front side covers painted. Some shops have quoted me $650-800.

That is a bit beyond what I can afford on a paint job. Especially for just a solid color. I was planning on doing smaller jobs myself such as the forks, exhausts, rims, etc...

How did you guys manage your paint jobs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 10:42 AM

I paid a guy I know 500 to paint the tank and fenders. He did body work on the tank to get rid of all indentions. The paint he used cost 175 bucks. It's beautiful!!! I have a gorgeous sparkly blue bike now.

The guy quoted me 175 for just the tank, and I brought the fenders too. When I heard 500 was the final cost ... I nearly fainted. I was not happy. But when I saw how amazing a job was done, I felt better. He gave me the extra paint and it had the price tag of 175ish right on it.

EDIT: The reason I took it to a guy in the first place, was because my tank had a giant dent where the PO dropped a oil can on it. Wife convinced me to get it fixed while the bike was apart. I arranged for this body shop guy to do the tank. At the last minute I took him the fenders too so they would all match. I would have done my own paint if I didn't need body work done.

I would take a picture for you, but I have those items now at my friends for some custom paint. He is doing some pin stripes and 2 caricatures on the tank.

If you took your time and did it right, I think a rattle-can job would be fine. IMO, the highest visibility items are the tank and the front fender. You could do all the others yourself if it helps your budget.

Tim Adams
1990 VT1100C Shadow

Last edited by ttexastim; 05-01-2014 at 11:11 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 10:57 AM

Rattle cans and do the prep work right, no short cuts. Don't try and rush it and put down light coats. Follow the directions on the can and use good quality paint like Duplicolor or VHT made by same company and have excellent phone support for any questions you might have.

RocksBlues, bassist and loving it!

'83 Shadow VT750

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 AM

It's really going to depend...
You can save a pile of money if you do all the prep work yourself, and bring it in ready to spray. You may have to find a smaller shop willing to work with you. Big shops all seem to only be interested in doing insurance work. I know a guy that's sprayed a couple of cars for me years ago, and he only charged me $350 to do the whole car (two tone). There's also plenty of ways to do the whole job by yourself, if you're so inclined. If you search youtube, you'll find hundreds of videos on it. This guy is funny and shows some work on motorcycles:
https://www.youtube.com/user/diyautoschool
Anyway, it is possible to get good paint job on a budget...it just mostly depends on your skills and how much labor you feel like throwing at it. If you're on a *really* tight budget you might do a google search for "car paint roller" or "paint roller car paint job" or something like that. For years people have used cheap alkyd enamel paint and basically a roller to put paint on cars...it's um, *very* labor intensive, but it does work. Just don't park it out in the sun a lot lol.

1983 VT500
Evel Knievel is from my home town...I had a friend who lived over by his place and I used to drive by it all the time. True story.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 12:02 PM

Model: vt1100c
Year: 1987
Garage
Probably the biggest pitfall to painting your own bike is that you really need some sort of 2k type paint on your fuel tank or a few drops of gas will really make you sad as it trashes your paint job.

Good new is that SprayMax make some good clear coat that comes in a can, bad news is 2k paints are extremely corrosive to the human body, really should have full face protection, (eyes lungs skin etc) as well as gloves.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLew89 View Post
I was planning on doing smaller jobs myself such as the forks, exhausts, rims, etc...

How did you guys manage your paint jobs?
Read the forums and do your homework - forks, exhaust, rims are NOT the smaller or easier jobs.

Educate yourself first.....then ask questions. It's very do-able to paint a bike in your garage and have it look GREAT for roughly $200 in materials and with 30-50 hours of your time once you learn the basics.

1985 VT700
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGeeky1 View Post
Probably the biggest pitfall to painting your own bike is that you really need some sort of 2k type paint on your fuel tank or a few drops of gas will really make you sad as it trashes your paint job.

Good new is that SprayMax make some good clear coat that comes in a can, bad news is 2k paints are extremely corrosive to the human body, really should have full face protection, (eyes lungs skin etc) as well as gloves.
Isocyanates are not your friend...and I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) there's only one cartridge respirator made by 3M that's rated for them. Otherwise you need a fresh air system.

1983 VT500
Evel Knievel is from my home town...I had a friend who lived over by his place and I used to drive by it all the time. True story.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:27 PM

Okay naysayers about off the shelf rattlers ...

I rattle canned my ACE with Krylon Rust-Tough Enamal Semi-Flat; tank, fenders, side covers. That was 2-1/2, almost three years ago for the cost of about $20 ... no clearcoat. I've dripped/dropped/spilled fuel on the tank and it's been rode a lot since then in the hot/humid Florida sun. No issues ...

Paint: https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-...ml#post1182017

Process: https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-...ml#post1182708

For the VLX, I used professional automotive paint and a sprayer. House of Kolors dark metal flake gold over black base and clearcoat. Cost? It was more than few hundred both for the paints and supplies and because I bought the gun, but already have a compressor. About $575. Obviously next time it will be less expensive. But the efforts and initial costs were worth it!

Process: https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-...ml#post2211906

Video: https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-...ml#post2211930

82 CB900C - CB Lingo for My Road
82 Magna - My Road is Magna-ficent!
91 VLX - My Road to Bob
03 ACE - My Road to Rod

"Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Model: vt1100c
Year: 1987
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aced It View Post
Okay naysayers about off the shelf rattlers ...

I rattle canned my ACE with Krylon Rust-Tough Enamal Semi-Flat; tank, fenders, side covers. That was 2-1/2, almost three years ago for the cost of about $20 ... no clearcoat. I've dripped/dropped/spilled fuel on the tank and it's been rode a lot since then in the hot/humid Florida sun. No issues ...

Paint: https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-...ml#post1182017

Process: https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-...ml#post1182708

That is great! Maybe the difference is the enamel paint but I've heard so many stories the other way around concerning fuel on rattle can that it scared me into using the 2k clear coat when I painted mine.

BTW - your bike looks awesome!

Last edited by IGeeky1; 05-01-2014 at 02:20 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 02:06 PM

enamel will hold up a LOT better than lacquer against fuel and such, this is true.

2K clear is great stuff if you like the glossy look and don't freak out at a $30 can of clearcoat......none of which matters if nobody makes it clear that catalyzed paint like SprayMax WILL KILL YOU if you use it incorrectly.

OP is clearly at the first word, of the first chapter, of the book of bike painting - any advice given should be metered out with appropriate care. Like when I said $200 to rattlecan a bike - unless he's got tape and tarps and ziplocks for bag/tag, and sandpaper, and thinner and primer, and degreaser and paint prep, and bondo/filler, and gloves and mask and and and and.....the first one's a little bit more money than the second one is all I'm saying....carry on my wayward sons.

AcedIt knows what he's doing - his threads are a great example of how to do this......RocksBlues learned a lesson the hard way and will be the first one to say 'learn from my mistakes'....I'm a big fan of rattlecanning a bike when done well.....but I've seen some atrocious spraybombs in my day too.....

1985 VT700

Last edited by Jammit; 05-01-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page