To lower or not to lower.... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
To lower or not to lower....

When I first started riding my '03 Shadow ACE I was concerned with being slightly off balance when stopped. After riding it for a few weeks I am more comfortable and don't think it is going to be a big an issue. My husband still thinks we should lower it because "you may find uneven patches of road that will make that 1 inch more like 1 1/2 inches".

Has anyone else had this concern?

Thanks,

Beth

Bufftub
2003 Honda Shadow VT 750 CDD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 10:49 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
If you lower it the suspension will be different and you may not like the ride. Maybe a different seat to sit lower would be an easy alternative with nothing altered on the suspension.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 10:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufftub View Post
When I first started riding my '03 Shadow ACE I was concerned with being slightly off balance when stopped. After riding it for a few weeks I am more comfortable and don't think it is going to be a big an issue. My husband still thinks we should lower it because "you may find uneven patches of road that will make that 1 inch more like 1 1/2 inches".

Has anyone else had this concern?

Thanks,

Beth
Whenever I see threads about lowering, I always think about the minimal ground clearance these bikes have already. There have been threads about broken crankcases on these bikes, and lowering just increases the possibility of bottoming out. One that comes to mind was of a fellow hitting a raised underground tank cover in a service station lot and I don't think he was even lowered. I wouldn't do it unless it was absolutely necessary. JMHO

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 11:00 AM

Garage
Try adjusting the rear shocks. When I adjusted mine for 2 up riding, it seemed to adjust the height slightly...or is it all in my mind?...can't hurt to give it a try...

94 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 11:02 AM

My advice.. Just pay attention to the road and where you stop, and prepare yourself for poor road conditions.. You wouldn't stop on glass or - if you have a choice - a manhole cover in the rain.. Being of short stature myself with a preference for big and tall bikes, I can tell you that even road camber can play it's part, and require me to put the opposite foot down than I usually would when coming to a stop.

Being short is not an insurmountable thing when riding bikes, but it just requires you to pay greater mind, and adjust your priorities and considerations sometimes..

The problem with lowering your bike, as I see it, is that it reduces it's capabilities.. For example, not only does it require that you avoid going up steep curbs or over more pronounced speedbumps, it doesn't change the fact that there will always be deeper depressions and potholes, as well as more pronounced road cambers that you'll need to watch out for anyway... You don't get rid of any of these things by adjusting your bike, you learn to compensate for those things by better avoiding them, or prepearing yourself for them when you can't (slipping a cheek to the left when you need to make your left leg longer (for example ).

Family, Friends, Love and Life..
Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

C u r r e n t ... S c o o t s:
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - 2015 Triumph Tiger XCX
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 11:45 AM

Try the shock thing like @Damon78 said. Mine is adjusted like that for my stumpy 26" inseam. 😐

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 07:00 PM

Model: 2007 Shadow 600
You might take a look at how high sportbikes riders sit in the saddle. They seem to adjust themselves to their bikes when stopped, but study their techniques.

2007 Honda Shadow 600
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 07:08 PM

Can you flatfoot the bike when you stop? If you can, leave it alone. You'll get used to it soon enough.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you for all your opinions. I think I'm going to hold off on lowering at least for now. Thanks again!!

Bufftub
2003 Honda Shadow VT 750 CDD
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 12:50 AM
bd*

Model: Shadow Spirit 750
Year: 2001
Garage
And that's a Pretty looking ACE.

The wife and I on My, 2001 Shadow Spirit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page