installing speakers - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinker View Post

Good luck & don't put too much effort into it.
Not trying to be hateful, but this outfit is better suited fot a bicycle....or electric golf cart.

7W means: slightly louder than the speaker on your cell phone.

Regardless, best of luck, and welcome to HSN.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 06:51 PM

Garage
I would just connect temporarily to the battery and see if you can hear anything from them at cruise speed. (likey sound great in your garage) but... I had Cycle Sound 5 1/4" 100 watt speakers connected to a 60 watt Panasonic amp in a quiet Goldwing fairing and could not make out what was playing at cruising speed. At stop lights it as just annoyingly loud. Even though the speakers were very expensive, and sounded great in a car, the sound was terrible on a bike. Had to run it so loud that traffic might be drowned out so a safety issue. After a year I used it for weather reports but after about 2 years I removed it and it sat in my garage for 10 years. Remember you are battling ambient sound, wind noise and likely wearing a helmet with an engine that is less quiet than a GWing . Best of luck but maybe try before permanently wiring.

G.

Last edited by gdb069; 07-24-2016 at 07:07 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I have decided not to go with the speakers as I'm taking everyone's advice that I won't be a to hear them which makes sense to me now another question is this. Would 30 watts be enough to hear at cruising speeds? I don't do much highway riding mostly just city.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 01:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
I'm new to riding. My first bike was a Honda cm 400T that's the bike I learned on. This past march 2016 I bought a Honda shadow 600 vlx deluxe which I love.....
I think you should focus on non-distracted riding before adding speakers. Just my .02

Wattage is a bit deceptive, larger is typically louder, but there is not a "magic number" that means you will be able to hear it or not. As @gdb069 said above, he had a 60W amplifier behind a fairing with 5.25" speakers and couldn't hear it at speed. It looks like your bike does not have a fairing or windshield, which is perfectly OK, but it will make it harder to hear. Boss speakers project (inflated) huge output numbers.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...LjMRoCivjw_wcB

There's no such thing as "Spare Time" or "Free Time" or "Down Time."
Time is time. All you have is "Life Time." GO.
-- Henry Rollins

Last edited by jwinker; 07-25-2016 at 01:44 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:02 AM

Model: 2007 Shadow 600
In general, my opinion on bikes with speakers is that they pollute the air. Most of it is becuz to the ear of a bystander, they're only able to hear a diminished sound at the outer range of the speakers. And this diminished sound is like an inconsiderate neighbor who plays loud music down the hallway. If you were 2 feet away from the speakers, the music might even sound good, that is, you'd be able to hear and maybe enjoy the full range of octaves or sumpthing like that, thusly it wouldn't be as much of a distraction. On top of that, it *seems* to me that the musical rider likes to draw attention to himself by means of a soundtrack like in the movies. Also, in the back of his mind, he thinks he's entertaining the public with his selection of music. Note: this mainly has to do with city riding.

2007 Honda Shadow 600
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:40 AM

Garage
I ordered a set of pyle plmca30 speakers and amp. I also ordered a 12v in-line Bluetooth converter. My plan is to install a relay using the ignition key on. When the key is on the relay is powered and it pulls from the battery to power up the amp. This was so long as the key is off the stereo is off. With the Bluetooth I can just use my phone. The micro amp(300watt) will be under the seat area.

The set cost me $50 and the Bluetooth another $30.

Bluetooth : http://m.ebay.ca/itm/Milennia-MIL-BT...-/191899563198

Stereo : http://m.ebay.ca/itm/New-PYLE-PLMCA3...710?nav=SEARCH

I considered the opportunity speakers.. But realized they would be useless once the bike is running, they'd drown out.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONW View Post
In general, my opinion on bikes with speakers is that they pollute the air. Most of it is becuz to the ear of a bystander, they're only able to hear a diminished sound at the outer range of the speakers. And this diminished sound is like an inconsiderate neighbor who plays loud music down the hallway. If you were 2 feet away from the speakers, the music might even sound good, that is, you'd be able to hear and maybe enjoy the full range of octaves or sumpthing like that, thusly it wouldn't be as much of a distraction. On top of that, it *seems* to me that the musical rider likes to draw attention to himself by means of a soundtrack like in the movies. Also, in the back of his mind, he thinks he's entertaining the public with his selection of music. Note: this mainly has to do with city riding.

Yeah.. But it's not for them..

They want a my system to sound good, they can pay for my insurance, maintenance and gas.

Else wise, don't worry about what others think, they can either ignore or complain.. Regardless you'll have already rolled away. On your bike with your stereo and your music.

Last edited by X3r0; 07-26-2016 at 07:54 AM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:59 PM

you still can sit on the bike in the garage and listen to the stereo. Nothing wrong with that.

2007 Honda Shadow 600
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONW View Post
you still can sit on the bike in the garage and listen to the stereo. Nothing wrong with that.

Right, but then why sit on your bike.. Why not just sit on your couch with headphones.

And one step further, neighbors, what if they hear your TV or movies next door, to them it's just annoying sound pollution.. Do them a service, buy headphones... Or let them deal with it, you enjoy your life.

I am installing a stereo system, not to entertain the masses, or make a soundtrack to my ride.. It's so that I can listen to the music I like when I ride.. I listen to it in my truck.. Sometimes, I know it's weird, I get tired of hearing the constant BRAAAAAAA of the pipes..

Would it be different if I was listening to an audio book.. When I used to travel alot I had a car with a 9.1surround system, I would listen to sci-fi audio books, it was like what hinges a movie but had a hell of a lot more detail. Kinda makes me miss those 8+ hour drives..
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 11:33 PM

yea, okay.

2007 Honda Shadow 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page