School me on intakes - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinker View Post
Well, HarryC's Valkyrie is about to be BOTM. So, there's that...

I hear what you're saying, but there's "cool" for the purpose of looking "cool" and there's "cool" for the purpose of ACTUALLY BEING cool.

An aftermarket air filter on a VT750 is like lipstick on a pig.

You can ride a pig all you want, and if you're good at it nobody is going to fault you for it. But even if you're really good at riding a pig & you put lipstick on it...well...there's a line & on one side of it others really will question "HUH?"

So, if you're really good at riding the Shadow & you really want to put an aftermarket air cleaner on it just to look cool, go for it. But, trust me, nothing you add to your Shadow will look cooler than "miles" and an air filter doesn't really help you accomplish that.
Pretty much what I meant but said a different way but I used "Hawg" instead of pig. I personally like the Phantom the way it came from Honda. A nice custom pinstripe would look really nice though. I guess most of the mods I done on the 1100 Spirit were for miles of comfort not so much for looks except for the front fender ornament but Markspike gave me a good deal.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 11:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by h13man View Post
Pretty much what I meant but said a different way but I used "Hawg" instead of pig. I personally like the Phantom the way it came from Honda. A nice custom pinstripe would look really nice though. I guess most of the mods I done on the 1100 Spirit were for miles of comfort not so much for looks except for the front fender ornament but Markspike gave me a good deal.
Exactly, @h13man . There's "cool" from your own perception...

I once wanted to craft a set of custom "barefoot" floorboards for the VT750DC because I didn't like anything else that was out there. I still think it's an awesome idea, if someone has the means to produce them!

Then there's adding add-ons simply for the sake of adding add-ons because they are available. That's not "cool" and *OFTEN* turns into something of a plastic debacle.

So, be aware of what you want to apply. What is your endgame? Does this *thing* move you toward that endgame?

There's no such thing as "Spare Time" or "Free Time" or "Down Time."
Time is time. All you have is "Life Time." GO.
-- Henry Rollins
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 12:49 AM

OK guys I think understand where you are coming from.
I think it comes down to doing things for yourself rather than the appearance to others, unless of course that is your end game.

FWIW my 750 ACE is stock appearing other than Mustang seat, different handlebars and pegs.
Why? Because I like the low profile. (-:

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, what a can of worms! I actually am more prone to strip stuff off my bike than bolt on stuff. I actually like the looks of the stock air cleaner, but figure anything with an internal combustion engine nowadays is restricted somewhat. The answer may be as simple as a better filter, but if there is a definite health advantage to an aftermarket air cleaner, I'm not opposed to putting one on.

But, you can buy cool....I bought a motorcycle and now I'm simply a delight everywhere I go!
B

Join the mission to end veteran suicide! Support Mission22
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 01:10 AM

That's cool.

If you want to play around with your EFI controller you could just remove the intake snorkel from your stock air cleaner box and probably get most of the actual benefit an aftermarket assembly would provide.
You get to remove stuff and it is reversible, how cool is that! (-;
The only drawback is more intake noise and in extreme wet weather it can potentially suck water.

On my 750 ACE I run a variation of the "Bean Box" mod with a K&N filter element same basic idea, but a little more butchery to the air box base, it looks stock and eliminates one of the several choking points in Honda's tuning of that particular VT750 variation and in combination with other mods gets me better throttle response and wee bit more power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page