Transmission issue? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Tropicheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 86
Transmission issue?

So while on my way home, I was coming up on a red light so I let off the throttle pulled in the clutch and began braking and downshifting. While still rolling at about 10 with the clutch pulled in the bike got stuck in neutral I tried to push the lever down and it just made a grinding sound so up shifted back to second then tried it again and it was fine. It did not do the rest of the ride home. Is this a thing that happens sometimes or is something off?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tropicheat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:36 AM
Senior Member
 
swifty2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Location: Washington State
Posts: 10,466
Garage
Did you try to down shift very gently?
Sometime even at 10 MPH the gears have a hard time engaging unless you snap them in. Upshifts can be touchy also if done slowly. Just a guess.


Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
swifty2014 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Tropicheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
Did you try to down shift very gently?
Sometime even at 10 MPH the gears have a hard time engaging unless you snap them in. Upshifts can be touchy also if done slowly. Just a guess.


I tried twice and it would go but after going back up to second and the immediately trying it again it shifted just fine, I held the clutch in the entire time. I guess it's just one of those things that happens rarely. It worked fine the rest of the ride and I stopped at like 8 more lights so unless it starts happening frequently there's nothing to worry about. Machines have hiccups sometimes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tropicheat is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:04 AM
Senior Member
 
TenDollarBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: West Linn, Oregon
Posts: 3,192
A couple of things come to mind. First, is the clutch out of adjustment? If it's not fully disengaging, first gear might be harder to engage, and the grinding suggests the clutch isn't releasing completely. Next, try "double clutching" between second and first.
Good luck.



Life doesn't care if you're unprepared.
TenDollarBill is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:16 AM
Senior Member
 
swifty2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Location: Washington State
Posts: 10,466
Garage
It always amazes me how well these transmissions work since they are hard steel pieces jamming into other hard steel pieces while they are moving. No syncromesh on these crash boxes but they work so well !
Here is a basic video=

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
swifty2014 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Tropicheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenDollarBill View Post
A couple of things come to mind. First, is the clutch out of adjustment? If it's not fully disengaging, first gear might be harder to engage, and the grinding suggests the clutch isn't releasing completely. Next, try "double clutching" between second and first.

Good luck.


I know it was disengaged because it went from 4-3 3-2 smooth it just got stuck in neutral when I tried to go from 2-1. It only happened once though.
I may have let the clutch out a little inadvertently I don't know.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tropicheat is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
adlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 9,025
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicheat View Post
So while on my way home, I was coming up on a red light so I let off the throttle pulled in the clutch and began braking and downshifting. While still rolling at about 10 with the clutch pulled in the bike got stuck in neutral I tried to push the lever down and it just made a grinding sound so up shifted back to second then tried it again and it was fine. It did not do the rest of the ride home. Is this a thing that happens sometimes or is something off?
It's a thing that happens. About 10 MPH could be too fast for shifting into first. The max speed for that is going to vary based on a number of factors but when you're going too fast to downshift you'll hear (and feel) that grinding noise. You could probably force it into first if you wanted. Maybe. I wouldn't.



Art's 1999 Shadow 1100 ACE (Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient)





adlowe is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Tropicheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlowe View Post
It's a thing that happens. About 10 MPH could be too fast for shifting into first. The max speed for that is going to vary based on a number of factors but when you're going too fast to downshift you'll hear (and feel) that grinding noise. You could probably force it into first if you wanted. Maybe. I wouldn't.


I shift to second at 20 so I don't think 10 is too fast for first. I think it just got stuck in neutral for. Some reason .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tropicheat is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
adlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 9,025
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicheat View Post
I shift to second at 20 so I don't think 10 is too fast for first.
You said "about 10" which could be as much as 15 MPH? Add in that motorcycle speedometers overstate by as much as 10% to 12% and maybe it could be closer to 20 MPH?

Try downshifting into first at 30+ MPH and you'll know that the grinding noise is what you get whenever you try while going too fast. The bike wasn't stuck in neutral; you were moving too fast for the gears to engage in first.



Art's 1999 Shadow 1100 ACE (Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient)





adlowe is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Senior Member
 
h13man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Central Indiana
Posts: 7,855
I'm still curious if the clutch is adjusted right but no answer on this matter. 3/4" end play on the lever or a nickle width at the pivot gap. Never had an issue with a Honda (11) in 46 yrs. unless the clutch wasn't adjusted right. Did have to shim clutch springs twice but that a different issue altogether.





06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
h13man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
85 VT 1100 Transmission Rebuild. MarktheMoose Technical Discussion 9 10-31-2010 05:20 PM
Converting from 4 speed transmission to 5? agudenkauf Technical Discussion 7 11-27-2007 10:30 PM
transmission engage sound Simpdad Technical Discussion 3 10-17-2007 06:48 PM
clutch/transmission? gyoung Technical Discussion 2 07-25-2007 01:45 PM
VLX 5 Speed transmission ? Shock Technical Discussion 3 06-03-2007 02:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome