exhaust stud snapped, then snapped again - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Model: vt1100c
Year: 1987
Garage
exhaust stud snapped, then snapped again

This is on a 96 750 Nighthawk.

Needed to remove exhaust and the one cap came off with a piece of the stud inside. So I got a 7mm extractor socket and snapped it of even lower (no not intentionally). Now only about 3/8 of an in is extended. So I drilled out and am using an internal extractor now. Yes, I've been soaking it all along with pb blaster.

So to the question...Is it OK to hit the cylinder head with a propane torch to try and loosen old rust or whatever and expand around the stud a bit? I mean I know big explosions happen in there but this would not be so evenly distributed as it would be centering on an area. My guess is no problem I'm just over thinking it like I do everything but figured I'd ask.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160901_192242.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	182330  

Mark

Last edited by IGeeky1; 09-01-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 09:42 PM

My first thought when that happens is "Crap".
I would let it soak overnight and try again. PB Blaster may work. I have had much better luck with Kroil. Not available in stores and I am sure you don't want to wait for delivery. I don't think heat will do any damage, but I don't think it will help. When you get the stud out, clean the threads with a thread cleaner, not a tap. A tap will remove too much metal and the new stud could be loose. Good luck. Craftsman 48 pc. SAE & Metric Thread Restorer Kit

Penetrating-Lubricating Oils is where you get the oil. They offer buy one get one so it is a great deal. Even if you don't need it for this, it is great to have around.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 10:07 PM

Garage
Propane heat won't hurt anything. Remove the extractor, Heat it up, them soak it down with PB Blaster. As it cools, capillary action will draw the penetrant into the threads. I'd hit it a few times with the heat and the juice, letting it cool down in between.

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 10:22 PM

Garage
Now I've always had a MIG, so my first reaction is always to grab it and weld on a stud..

Propane you'll be fine, there's enough heat to do the job but it takes a while to build so you'll have time, oxygen/acetylene is another story but it's do able ( done it) if you know what your doing. My experience with extractors has never been good.. I keep buying them though.. Maybe I hope they will work.

I snapped a stud on my 82 750 nighthawk, it's still snapped ran like that for years.

Good luck
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 10:55 PM

Model: 2005 Honda Sabre 1100
Year: 2006 Honda Sabre 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3r0 View Post
Now I've always had a MIG, so my first reaction is always to grab it and weld on a stud..

Propane you'll be fine, there's enough heat to do the job but it takes a while to build so you'll have time, oxygen/acetylene is another story but it's do able ( done it) if you know what your doing. My experience with extractors has never been good.. I keep buying them though.. Maybe I hope they will work.

I snapped a stud on my 82 750 nighthawk, it's still snapped ran like that for years.

Good luck
used to work in a machine shop, customers would bring parts in with the studs broke off, drilled of center, broken ezeout in broken stud, we would use the mig to weld onto the stud and build it up so could weld a washer onto stud, then nut onto washer and stud, the heat from welding would usually help free it, the the nut gave leverage to move it back and forth some to free it up rest of way, but if this failed it was bad news, then parts had to be put in mill, and bored out.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 11:15 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
If you can find these square type extractors the are strong and grip very well. The spiral type can wedge the stud outward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extractors.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	182386  

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
My first thought when that happens is "Crap".
I would let it soak overnight and try again. PB Blaster may work. I have had much better luck with Kroil. Not available in stores and I am sure you don't want to wait for delivery. I don't think heat will do any damage, but I don't think it will help. When you get the stud out, clean the threads with a thread cleaner, not a tap. A tap will remove too much metal and the new stud could be loose. Good luck. Craftsman 48 pc. SAE & Metric Thread Restorer Kit

Penetrating-Lubricating Oils is where you get the oil. They offer buy one get one so it is a great deal. Even if you don't need it for this, it is great to have around.
If you use a bottom tap all will be good but using a thread restorer in aged cast aluminium may give adverse results also if there will be any threads left at all. This may end up being your repair option. https://www.belmetric.com/index.php?...FQaPaQodTA0C1w

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 07:09 AM

Model: Phantom
Year: 2013
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGeeky1 View Post
This is on a 96 750 Nighthawk.

Needed to remove exhaust and the one cap came off with a piece of the stud inside. So I got a 7mm extractor socket and snapped it of even lower (no not intentionally). Now only about 3/8 of an in is extended. So I drilled out and am using an internal extractor now. Yes, I've been soaking it all along with pb blaster.

So to the question...Is it OK to hit the cylinder head with a propane torch to try and loosen old rust or whatever and expand around the stud a bit? I mean I know big explosions happen in there but this would not be so evenly distributed as it would be centering on an area. My guess is no problem I'm just over thinking it like I do everything but figured I'd ask.

The heat will not hurt it. The trick when heating parts to get them apart is to heat it fast, before the heat can transfer to the stud. If you can get a helper to keep pressure on the stud while you heat it, that would help. Welding on parts works well because the welding draws the parts. We do this at work to remove bearing races, we run a bead of weld all the way around the race, turn the housing upside down and as it cools the race falls out.

You can also heat it up and touch paraffin wax to the threads, when it cools the wax will be drawn up into the threads.

Good luck and be careful.

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom "Draco Vide"

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 07:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bens06Sabre View Post
used to work in a machine shop, customers would bring parts in with the studs broke off, drilled of center, broken ezeout in broken stud, we would use the mig to weld onto the stud and build it up so could weld a washer onto stud, then nut onto washer and stud, the heat from welding would usually help free it, the the nut gave leverage to move it back and forth some to free it up rest of way, but if this failed it was bad news, then parts had to be put in mill, and bored out.

Exactly. Same here.

2003 Shadow Ace 750
- Mustang seats
- Progressives fronts and rears
- 4 mod
- true 2in1 free flow exhaust
- Jets 118/122 42pilot
- Beanbox
- 38T
- Bigger hard bags
- Chumps

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Model: vt1100c
Year: 1987
Garage
Thanks everyone for the great advice, I don't know how to weld, wish I did. Will be hard to heat it fast with a propane torch but I will give it may best shot and feed it pb blaster.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page