starter ghost problem - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

starter ghost problem

well i went to start my bike up for the first time today after tuning it up and taking care of some minor things.

i put a battery on that i know was fully charged (had been on a trickle for about 8 hours) when i went to hit the ignition switch i heard a click and my lights dimmed but no turn over.. just a click

i got my truck and tried to jump it with the truck on and still same thing the lights dim, i hear a click, but nothing please help me im dieing to test her out.

i had her up on the integrated work stand does that affect the starting?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

update: i am a new rider this is my first bike so please dont laugh at me for this butt...

my neutral light wont come on the dash, could it be a neutral safety switch impeding my start? how do i make sure the light comes on?

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
my neutral light wont come on the dash, could it be a neutral safety switch impeding my start? how do i make sure the light comes on?
Can you pull in the clutch and click the shifter up or down until the neutral light comes on? You may need to roll the bike slightly while doing this to make sure the shift takes place. If the neutral light doesn't come on you might try shifting all the way down multiple times (to be sure you are in first) and then just slightly up to find neutral. Roll the bike to make sure. Some bikes also have a safety switch in the clutch lever housing, so you might also try pulling in the clutch when you try to start.

The symptoms you describe of lights dim and a click makes me think it is something besided the neutral switch though. I would double check the battery connections to make sure they are secure and that the battery ground cable is making a good ground.

Riding for the Son.

Current Bikes: 2003 Spirit 1100, 2008 GSX650F, 2006 Suzuki GS500F, 1996 Kawasaki KLR 250, 1974 Yamaha DT250

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 08:16 PM

Trickle chargers are not battery chargers. A Trickle charger can charge a battery but it can tale 24 hours depending on how dead the battery really is.

Trickle chargers are designed to maintain a battery bu charging it very SLOOOOOWW!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

i also tried to start it while being hooked up too the truck and the same thing happened so im gonna try to get that neutral light to come on.

edit:i popped it into neutral but still no neutral light on the dash.. what could this be?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:06 PM

Garage
Jumper those wires on the neutral switch and see it that helps...
also check that the Stop/Run switch is in teh Run position.

Gonz

When does it end? It doesn't....it's a Vicious Cycle!!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:14 PM

Maybe the neutral switch isnt working? Maybe a bad ground or connection to the switch? With the light not comeing on, it makes me suspicious that it's in the neutral switch part of the circuit.

Could be a bad connection to the clutch diode too. The diode is tied in with the neutral switch as well as the clutch switch. The diode would be located in the fuse box, you should be able to pull it out and push it back in to freshen the connections to it a bit. It should be black and rectangular in shape.

Myabe I'm wrong here, I'm looking at a much newer schematic. I hope you get the problem fixed.

Mark

2004 Shadow Spirit 1100
2000 Valkyrie
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

ive tried pulling the fuses and moving the bike around but still the light wont come on.. this is a real buzzkill id hate to have to take it somewhere.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:50 PM

With your tune up I'm assuming new plugs, if not might be bad plugs? Also Make sure the kill switch is on the "run" position.
Battery cables properly on?
Kick stand up?

Shadow Kat

2001 750 Shadow ACE

It is the honor & duty of the strong to protect the weak.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

well it cant be a plug yet because my starter isnt even turning its just clicking, i have no clue what to do im stuck, id pull the starter but its not turning at all, just clicks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page