Engine rattle? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Engine rattle?

I was hoping I would not have to post this but I don't think time is on my side right now.
I am planning on meeting up with @Blueflame in 2 or 3 weeks. So about an 1200 mile ride. We are supposed to get rain for another 4 days. So loose more time there.
Here is the deal. I had my bike down for close to 3 month for misc. stuff.

I removed the stock fuel filter and replaced it with a 3/8 hard line. I added a glass filter below the petcock valve.

I put on a new to me rear wheel. I changed out one bearing. The other was good. I put in my rubber pads and also my final drive gear.

Here is my issue. My bike runs great.

The motor is pretty quiet up till about 55 mph. At that point. If I am on the throttle
at all. I start to hear a gear whine as well as a rattle in the engine or in the exhaust? The sound seems to be coming from the right side of the bike from what I can tell.
I can gear what sounds like gears whining along with a rattle that sounds like marbles shaken in an aluminum container. If you have ever heard what car main bearings sound like when they go bad. It is very similar to that.

This does not seem to be rpm related. I can run the bike up to 60 and not hear the rattle. Once I am in 4th or 5th gear you can hear it. At a constant speed, the noise does not seem to be present.

I had a half tank of gas when I parked the bike.
3/8 I put in a gallon of gas and rode about 50 miles.
3/10 I filled the bike and added 4oz of seafoam
3/11 Rode the bike about 50 miles
3/13 I rode the bike about 60 miles, I don't remember if I heard any rattling here. 3/18 I changed the oil Rotella T5 + K&N filter --- I was running Rotella T6 & honda filter before. The bike had a K&N 303 filter when I bought the bike.
3/19 Put in 2 gallons of chevron premium. I rode another 60 miles - I can hear the rattling good.

I tried to record the noise. The wind noise at 55 makes hearing the rattle and gear noise in my camera a little hard.

I have been thinking about this so much that I am not sure of some details. I only put down here what I am sure of.

I have short videos for sound showing the bikes sounds good through 3rd gear in town as well as the videos of where the noise should be heard at 55.
With head phones and the volume turned up. I can hear the noise in the video. As a rider on the bike. It is pretty annoying.

If any one has any ideas what I could check. It would be great. I am starting a list of things to check once the weather permits. If it only sprinkles now and then. I will pull the cover off the bike and start looking into things sooner. I will just plan a day to clean the bike up before my trip. Which I hope I will be taking.

1995 VT1100 Ace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:17 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
First thing that comes to mind is to back track on the work you just did if that is where things changed. You put in a hard line for the fuel and it could now be transfering vibration. Or it ,may be bumping against something intermitantly. Try to wrap it with a cloth and ride it to see if that changes any thing.
You may be able to duplicate it by revving it standing still and listening in the area that you hear it.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

@Blu eflame mentioned that last night when I was telling him about this. I have that on the list of things to check. I have to pull the rear wheel to check the fuel line. I uncovered the bike and took a quick ride to the bank and gas station. It was pretty clear out. When I got home, I started to listen to the motor with the stethoscope and check the engine temp with the gun. Front cyl is about 35 degrees hotter than the rear. I heard some noise off idle, almost like it was coming from the exhaust. other than that. Every thing sounded ok for the brief time I listened. it started to rain on me so I had to quit. When I do get to check. I will get some one to help me so I can check things with the bike off idle. I really need a throttle lock. I will set up my camera to record noises and I can state my findings to add here later. My regular camera seems to be better at picking up higher pitched noises.
I have been racking my brain with this the last couple days. Going over every thing I did and trying to figure what could possibly be causing this. I will just keep adding suggestions to the list till I am sure I can get at leas an hour or better to look at this. Since nothing major was changed. I am sure it will turn out to be some thing reasonably simple.

Thanks

1995 VT1100 Ace

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:07 PM

Rattle on the right side of an ACE...Ok first check your exhaust bolts, all of them including shields for tightness. Check your baffles too, unless they are stock. Gear whine...I don't know dude it might be normal. I'd have to ride it. My Valkyrie has straight cut gears and they are noisy as hell. Completely normal though. I don't recall hearing much gear whine on my ACE at highway speeds though. Maybe because the exhaust was loud. Lol

"Stormy" 1997 Valkyrie Tourer - http://s724.photobucket.com/user/Har...eshow/Valkyrie

Ride Bell By OldDad

Last edited by Harryc; 03-22-2017 at 05:15 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

I will check the exhaust bolts tomorrow. In this video here. it sounds a lot like what I am hearing from my bike. I looked at the fuel line and am now sure there is no issues there. The line has more than an inch of free space around it. It looks like the rain is passing us by for a few days. it will give me a little more time to check this out.

1995 VT1100 Ace
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Well, I am thinking I may have a lifter problem here. I found some good links on line. They all point back to HSN. I added 5 oz of seafoam to the oil. I figure at this point I have nothing to loose. I have about 130 miles with the seafoam in. I thought the rattle had gone away but it may because i was wearing a full faced helmet and it is pretty windy out. I am going to run another 160 miles and then change the oil. This is what the bike sounded like when I got home. Noticeably nosier at idle and free revving. Sitting on the bike I hear the ticking. Not very loud. It is pretty loud when I get down next to the motor. The bike still runs great though. Unless it blows up in the next 2 weeks. I will be changing out the oil with the T6 again. A few more weeks and i will be off for about a 1200 mile ride "total" to meet up with @blueflame.

1995 VT1100 Ace
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:19 AM

Model: ACE VT1100C2
Year: 1997
My 97 Honda Shadow ACE makes the same "rattling" noise. This past Dec. I had a little crash and took my bike into the shop and tried to blame the rattling sound on my crash. The mechanic at the shop said that he never heard that kind of sound but surmised that it wouldn't hurt my bike and I've been riding her ever since.

Still, it kinda bothers me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:25 AM

Model: ACE VT1100C2
Year: 1997
I recently pulled up next to a Yamaha Viagro and it was rattling louder than my bike (I could hear it rattling through my full face helmet and ear plugs). I bet the young guy behind us riding a KTM Duke 390 was laughing at us old geezers with the noisy bikes.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM

Model: VLX 600
Year: 2003
Iíve seen a couple of bikes over the years that had a very dire sounding bottom end rattle which turned out to be a loose baffle in the exhaust collector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:42 PM

Model: Aero
Year: 2007
If it was quiet when you had the Rotella T5, go back to the T5. T6 and your bike just might not get along very well.

That said....My old Kawasaki Vulcan 750 clicked like crazy, and it was fine. I only stopped riding it because the stator finally started to go. As long as it still runs fine, it probably means nothing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page