Honda Shadow Forums banner

Bluing on exhaust? Running too hot?

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  swifty2014 
#1 ·
So when I bought my bike, I noticed some bluing on the Cobra pipes. From research, I believe this means that the engine has been ran, at some time, too hot. How do I prevent this in the future and what do I purchase to remove the bluing?!

#5 ·
I am not sure how to tell if it's still running to lean or not. Do I need to take it somewhere?
Is it popping on exhaust when decelerating?
Best thing you can do like Swifty said is to pull the plugs and check coloring. Check google images for lean sparkplugs.
vt1100 has 2 carbs I guess. You can tune the air/fuel mixture ratio from little brass screws at the underside of the carbs. They might be plugged with tiny aluminum plugs which you need to carefully screw/pull out.

#6 ·
Lean or rich may cause bluing so the engine must be operating correctly. There are several products that will remove bluing but some are abrasive. I used Blueaway and it dulled the chrome. Blue-Job worked ok on slightly blued pipes. If you have to apply a lot of pressure to remove, the pipes will dull. The product does not correct the initial problem so the bluing will return unless engine is tuned.

G.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.