Aftermarket rims - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Aftermarket rims

When weighing all the considerations on having my rim powder coated, aftermarket rims are sounding more appealing. I could go 16" rear, get a black rim with Crome spokes and even upgrade to a disc brake. Anyway, the biggest issue I'm unsure of is side to side alignment and axles size, though the bearings I could find a good combo and do something with the spacer.
Has anyone gone down this path? The whole point of buying this bike and building it from ground up was to have a bunch of fun and do everything. I want the rim swap but only with a reasonable amount of headache. Anyone have knowledge? Gearing and the effect of tire rim size of no concern.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:12 PM

Garage
Tape off the tire and spokes and plasti dip the rim.

Sitting on my Shadow making vroom vroom noises.

2006 Shadow Aero 750, "Audrey" - Jan 2017 BOTM - Sold Oct 2018

2008 VTX 1300T - Oct 2018 Co-BOTM

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hr2burn View Post
When weighing all the considerations on having my rim powder coated, aftermarket rims are sounding more appealing. I could go 16" rear, get a black rim with Crome spokes and even upgrade to a disc brake. Anyway, the biggest issue I'm unsure of is side to side alignment and axles size, though the bearings I could find a good combo and do something with the spacer.
Has anyone gone down this path? The whole point of buying this bike and building it from ground up was to have a bunch of fun and do everything. I want the rim swap but only with a reasonable amount of headache. Anyone have knowledge? Gearing and the effect of tire rim size of no concern.
Aftermarket rims are big money and there are only a couple of companies that make them to fit Honda's. As far as disk brakes, that would be an easy job because more then just simply adding disk brakes. t may take modifying the swingarm as there were no VLX with rear disk.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:01 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT750 DC
Year: 2006
Garage
As jpr said, the wheels will be the big expense unless you can score some take off. HD wheels are available and should be easily modded to fit the VLX similar to the VT750 DC. It took me about a week after collecting all the parts to assemble it. A machine shop turned the axles down to fit the HD bearing ID and cut the spacers after I lined everything up. A custom sprocket from Rebel gears until I had an adapter made to take advantage of steel sprockets and not aluminum. Washers used to shim the front caliper out to fit and at first moved the stock speedo to the rear wheel before going GPS a few years back. Search Harley wheel mod or CBR wheel mod.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks GB, I'll look for your thread. I'm curious why not just get bearings that have an OD to fit Harley rim and ID to fit axle rather than machining down axle? Then I'm thinking of either cutting down stock spacer (the one inside hub) or just making a new one depending on new hub width.
Also you mentioned a custom sprocket adapter. Why not use a steel Harley sprocket? Speedo won't be a problem as I went MotoGadget everything wired/electric.
Good info, thanks.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:34 AM

You could only use a Harley sprocket if it matched the front sprocket profile and that aligns properly with the front sprocket. In other words, both sprockets have to match the chain that is being used.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 03:09 PM

Model: Phantom
Year: 2013
Garage
I went from a 160/80-15 to a 170/80-15. I cannot remember total diameter difference, I think 1" taller, it made a 4 mph difference. Indicated on the speedo is 61 mph, indicated on the GPS is 65 mph.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom "Draco Vide"

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Model: Spirit 750 VT750DC
Year: 2003
Garage
Like @GB6049 suggested, do a search for Harley wheel mod or CBR mod, and you should get the info you need on how to do it. Like others have said, though, getting new wheels, no matter which way you go, is going to be the expensive part. If you can just mod/paint/powdercoat your current wheels, you will definitely save some SERIOUS cash! You might also check on Magna or other older Shadow wheels, which could be the exact same size and need little modifications to fit to the bike, but would allow you to change from spokes to mags, if you want.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

Ride Bells by blue flames & shadowride69 (THANKS!!)
'13 Harley Dyna Super Glide (FXDC)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:49 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT750 DC
Year: 2006
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hr2burn View Post
Thanks GB, I'll look for your thread. I'm curious why not just get bearings that have an OD to fit Harley rim and ID to fit axle rather than machining down axle? Then I'm thinking of either cutting down stock spacer (the one inside hub) or just making a new one depending on new hub width.
Also you mentioned a custom sprocket adapter. Why not use a steel Harley sprocket? Speedo won't be a problem as I went MotoGadget everything wired/electric.
Good info, thanks.
Some did just that. Seems that the victory bearings are supposed to be HD OD and Honda ID. Milling the axle though allowed for more possibilities for a bracket for the brake caliper.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 07:12 PM
XXL

Here's my 1988 VT800 with stock front wheel and 18" rear hoop, both powdercoated black, then laced up with new stainless spokes. RAW 18" rear hoop was about $150, spokes (front and rear) about $240, 2 new tires, all bearings (while they're apart), powdercoating, etc., was about $1k total. Obviously a little different bike style than most, but the new wheel setup really transformed the look for me. Before and during pics attached. See after pic in my sig.

Front tire is 100/90-19. Rear is 130/70-18.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-custom-motorcycle-honda-shadow-vt800c-dime-city-cycles-payback-8_1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	706.4 KB
ID:	208457   Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-custom-motorcycle-honda-shadow-vt800c-dime-city-cycles-payback-52_1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	208465   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel_lace.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	208473  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page