engine quits while riding then nothing... - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinker View Post
...unless he means the engine "turns over," but doesn't start...
He said the starter was turning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:10 AM

Garage
He actually said the motor whines, but won't turn.

I think this needs more clarification. Is the starter turning causing the whine? Is the motor seized? I would then be looking at an over heating issue.

Sitting on my Shadow making vroom vroom noises.

2006 Shadow Aero 750, "Audrey" - Jan 2017 BOTM - Sold Oct 2018

2008 VTX 1300T - Oct 2018 Co-BOTM

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 AM

Model: Spirit 750 VT750DC
Year: 2003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgeek View Post
wow! thanks for the advices!

What do you mean by "3-yellow wires"?
There are 3-yellow wires, going from the battery or regulator to the stator, with a connector under the seat. It's a common issue on the Shadow bikes for that connector to heat up, burn up, or blacken, causing intermittent or total lack of juice going to the bike, and it happens on practically ALL models. Honda did it that way since it needs 30A at the stator, but to get one wire to handle that much current would take something big and more expensive, so they just run 3 regular wires taking 10A each, instead.

Hope that answers your question.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

Ride Bells by blue flames & shadowride69 (THANKS!!)
'13 Harley Dyna Super Glide (FXDC)

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer View Post
This could be a couple of things. Like @smurfy71 1 said, it might be the gas tank vent tube being clogged, and taking off the gas cap will let you know if that's what the problem is, as the bike will start and run fine without the cap on, but when you put the cap back on, it will die a little later. Another possibility is the coils. If there is a crack in the coil, it will run fine for a while, until that coil heats up and separates, causing the bike to die, and not be able to start until it's cooled off enough to get closer together so the spark can jump the gap again, and then runs until it heats up and separates and dies again. You should also check the 3-yellow wires, as that can cause all kinds of trouble, including not starting or dying. You can get a replacement for that connector for about $3, if it's burned/fried. Another possibility is the start switch itself. Open the switch housing, and check it for loose wires and good contact, clean it, and put it back together. However, that usually is seen with pushing the start button, and nothing happens but the lights going out.
Okay.. finally made some time to check on the bike!

first of all, I bought this bike about a month ago. and today was the first time I actually opened her up to see what is going on. and wow... she looks a bit different from my other Steed 600.

this is how she looks on the right side...

first what I noticed is that a fuse connector is burned out. and there was a exposed burned 30A fuse. could this be the stater starter relay fuse?

I checked the coils and coils itself was within spec according to the factory service manual. BUT.. the front coil failed the secondary coil resistance.

that's what I found out so far..

thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_120525.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	213337   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_140521.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	213345   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_122412.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	646.8 KB
ID:	213353  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:27 AM

Model: Spirit 750 VT750DC
Year: 2003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgeek View Post
Okay.. finally made some time to check on the bike!

first of all, I bought this bike about a month ago. and today was the first time I actually opened her up to see what is going on. and wow... she looks a bit different from my other Steed 600.

this is how she looks on the right side...

first what I noticed is that a fuse connector is burned out. and there was a exposed burned 30A fuse. could this be the stater starter relay fuse?

I checked the coils and coils itself was within spec according to the factory service manual. BUT.. the front coil failed the secondary coil resistance.

that's what I found out so far..

thanks for reading.
If it's a 30A fuse, it's most likely for the starter relay. I'd change that first, and see how it does after that. If that alone doesn't make a difference, I might be inclined to have that front coil tested at a shop or simply replace it. I suspect one or the other or both are causing the issue.
BTW, it also looks like PO also replaced the turn signal flasher/relay (the clear round cylinder in there with the two wires going to it), which may have been done if they replaced regular bulbs or turn signals with LEDs or something like that.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

Ride Bells by blue flames & shadowride69 (THANKS!!)
'13 Harley Dyna Super Glide (FXDC)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:53 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Another fellow here has burned connector on the solenoid and I found this connector and the solenoid on ebay, but from China, only $14.00. That would at least get you back to factory setup again with little work. Probably the connector has burned and lost connections.

Motorcycle Starter Solenoid Relay&Plug Electrical Parts Connector Honda VT250 | eBay

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

thanks everybody for your answers.

After changing the coil, fuel cut relay AND the carburetor(from my other Steed), she srarts and runs great!(for now...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page