Clutch Replacement Tips and Tricks - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2017, 01:57 PM

I bought the Barnett clutch kit that comes in today for my 11 phantom. Is the clutch plate holder tool really necessary to change out the plates? I thought there was another tool recommended too. I have a torque wrench and plan on using that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Model: Shadow Spirit VT750 DC
Year: 2006
Garage
Everything went well with removal. Not having spoke wheel I used a tie down strap between the mag spokes and the swing arm to keep the rear wheel from turning thus stopping the tranny from turning. Un staking the nut was tedious but not too bad.

Things went to sh#%*'@t putting the side case back on and installing the clutch cable. Didn't seem like there was enough tension on the clutch spring so, I took the side case back off and figured I needed to give the clutch rod another turn. Doing so snapped the retaining clip off the end of the spring. Waiting on a new spring to try it again since the manual is not very clear on how much tension there should be or if you need to "wind" the spring. The clutch cable was in the middle of the adjustment range so I sure it is not stretched.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyred85 View Post
I bought the Barnett clutch kit that comes in today for my 11 phantom. Is the clutch plate holder tool really necessary to change out the plates? I thought there was another tool recommended too. I have a torque wrench and plan on using that.
Not sure how the Phantom disassembles but some folks have someone sit on the bike and lock the rear wheel brake to stop the tire from turning and loosen the clutch nut. Others made a "tool" out metal plate or wood by drilling a hole large enough for the socket to fit and four holes to bolt the tool to the spring mounting post.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryc View Post
@GB6049 , the wheels on your bike are awesome...just say'in. Great look, and I dig the nutjob pipes too.
Thanks Harry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in