Back Tire! Back Brake! ahhhhh - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Back Tire! Back Brake! ahhhhh

So after hours of worry I got my back tire replaced. It feels fine. My worry was for nothing. However, the back brake it much tighter than before. I dont have to press it down nearly as hard as before. I assume they maybe just adjusted it because it still stops ok....but now It schreeches like crazy! Do you think that is just dirt maybe? Do back brakes typically feel different after a rear tire replacement.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

I feel pretty ridiclous for asking all these stupid questions lately, but for some reason I am really nervous for this Red River trip. I bet it's cause I have my first rider for a long trip, cause I have been on long runs before. Anyway, thanks for your patience

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 07:14 PM

Well...let's see how to go about this...

When they re-installed the back tire, they adjusted the brake lever to where it "should" be. If you want to have it engage lower, you can adjust it by turning the nut on the back of the brake arm at the brake housing. (Right side of the wheel).

The screeching is probably due to dust between the pads and the wheel. Take it back to them and ask them to take a look at it. It shouldn't cost you anything...because it was their screw-up that caused it. And don't accept the "it is normal" answer that dealerships like to give...it is not normal...or bikes from the factory would screech like that...and they don't.

Joe

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

hahahaha and spirit_1100 always comes through for me! Yea the shop said the screech was due to the brake lever being adjusted and, yup, it's normal! You called that. But, they are closed, and I'm leaving early tomorrow. You think blowing it out with some air will help? I'm gonna try that after work

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 PM

Blowing air where and how? The rear brake panel is pretty much a closed system. You will need to remove the rear tire to clean out the dust. Now...I bet you are going to tell me you don't have a motorcycle jack...now do you? Oops...how about a ratcheting tie-down strap and an open rafter. You can use the tie-down strap to lift your bike. It isn't the best way...but it beats nothing.

Make sure your chain is cleaned and lubed before your trip.

Joe
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

That's an awesome idea, I could totally do that, but wow, I'm pretty weak at mechanical stuff, pretty intimidating to start that at 10 pm when I'm leaving at 7 am. ****, and I really hate that sqeak, and yea it is pretty enclosed back there. I suppose i'll just have tp pray that it stops. Yup got the chain all prepped up!!!! thanks dude

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 07:50 PM

Have a great trip and take plenty of pictures.

Joe
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

yea man I will post plenty on here in thanks for having to read all my questions!!!!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 09:11 PM

It probably won't stop on it's own. If you can pull the drum, you could blow it out with air, but a better bet would probably be brake cleaner.

You're talking to air.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 09:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to White Knight
my rear drum squeals all the time. SHOES are in fine shape as is the drum itself. i've broken the tiny amount of glaze that was there before and it still squeals. stops just fine always has.

a can of brake clean surely wont hurt anything.

due the brake being out of adjustment it's likely that a glaze has built up on the shoes and drum. emory cloth and brake clean will fix that up in a few minutes after the rear wheel has been removed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page