Handlebar replacement - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 06:52 PM

You realize that if you go to 1" bars, none of the controls will fit on the bars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
You realize that if you go to 1" bars, none of the controls will fit on the bars.
I was thinking the same thing.

However, Iíve noticed people that are fixing bikes from the 80ís, are usually unreasonably and illogically cheap. I canít understand the decision progress as to why he doesnít just buy new bars with the right diameter. Curious to see how this turns out...

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 07:58 PM

Model: 2007 Shadow 600
He likes thicker handlebars better. If memory serves, there was a discussion that mentioned that some 1-inch handlebars taper down to 7/8-inch at the grips, probably as a marketing strategy.

2007 Honda Shadow 600

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 08:18 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
The suggestion to take it to a machine shop and have the riser bored to 1" is intriguing. I have a sneaking suspicion that the price to do that will far outweigh any benefits to be gained. Special fixtures to hold the part would have to be built, then more problems would surface as to how to hold the boring bar steady. Just my opinion, of course.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Michigan View Post
The suggestion to take it to a machine shop and have the riser bored to 1" is intriguing. I have a sneaking suspicion that the price to do that will far outweigh any benefits to be gained. Special fixtures to hold the part would have to be built, then more problems would surface as to how to hold the boring bar steady. Just my opinion, of course.
Hopefully, if this is done, there is a spacer added between the top clamp and the triple tree during the boring process. Otherwise, it will be exactly 1" and won't clamp at all.

There must be an interesting back story to the project?

Couldn't just pick from one of these?
J&P Cycles.com 7/8 Inch Diameter

Last edited by sidejam; 10-29-2017 at 08:57 PM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 09:47 PM

Garage
I would encourage you to think some more about it. Personally I think it might be a mistake.
How many things like the clutch lever assembly and front brake lever / throttle assembly have pin holes , stuff like that.

Finding particular accessories to fit the 7/8" bars might be a hassle , but I do know that many times I've felt the same way about the 1" bars.

Price the machine shop work on the clamps , that might make the decision for you.
But @PhantomRider64 is right it may be your only way.

Make sure whoever you have do the machining knows what he is doing........might be a real bear to have to find a new clamp assembly to replace it.

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:17 PM

Model: 2007 Shadow 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidejam View Post
Hopefully, if this is done, there is a spacer added between the top clamp and the triple tree during the boring process. Otherwise, it will be exactly 1" and won't clamp at all.

There must be an interesting back story to the project?
I gather it's a me and my bike kinda thing. Anyways, the bore itself has to be 1" on the money to match the diameter of the 1" bars. It just that the halves aren't cut off at the equator, so they're not complete semi-circles. This preserves the clamping function via the gap (missing latitudes) between the two items.

2007 Honda Shadow 600
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONW View Post
I gather it's a me and my bike kinda thing. Anyways, the bore itself has to be 1" on the money to match the diameter of the 1" bars. It just that the halves aren't cut off at the equator, so they're not complete semi-circles. This preserves the clamping function via the gap (missing latitudes) between the two items.
Lol. Ya... that's what I meant. I just didn't put it quite so eloquently!

Hopefully, the machine shop will do it properly and the bars will clamp securely.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 02:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONW View Post
Very well said. Not that it can't be done , but whoever is doing it gotta get it.

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page