Solo seat for a 750RS, any suggestions, advice?... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Solo seat for a 750RS, any suggestions, advice?...

My bike still has the factory seat on it and my butt gets a bit sore after riding for a couple hours, so I'm looking at replacing the factory seat on my 2010 750RS, but I'm kind of at a loss at what will fit/work and what won't. The frame lines of the RS seem quite different from the Aero's, Phantoms and Spirits, (viewing from the side) so all the pictures I've seen don't really seem to apply.

I'd like to avoid purchasing something that won't fit right or be comfortable, so I thought I'd ask you guys for suggestions. In keeping with the theme of the RS, I'd like it to look a bit 'old school', but I think that just kind of goes with the solo seats anyway.

Some basic questions I have are...
Are the seat brackets all the same between the Shadows?
Do they typically require some custom work to get aftermarket seats to fit and work?
Are there preferred seats that have a great reputation (I know Mustang is a very popular seat maker)

I'm a newb when it comes to making modifications to motorcycles, but I have the skills to do whatever it takes, so any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Since this is the single most part that affects comfort, I'm not afraid to spend the money to get a good part, but I also want it to look good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 05:33 PM

I like the RS and have since it first arrived. There's one here on CL at the moment that has me thinking seriously. I like it's classic look...spoked wheels, standard type sitting. I think it would look good with a solo seat. Hopefully you'll get an accurate answer.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormH3 View Post
Hopefully you'll get an accurate answer.
Or any answer at all..lol

Surely somebody can relate their experiences with aftermarket seats? Are they typically bolt on between all styles, or do I need to look for something particular to my bike?

Paying $300-$400+ is enough that I don't want to make a stupid mistake in purchasing, because of my inexperience. When looking at the major online bike parts suppliers, there doesn't seem to be anything that's listed as a specific fit for the RS. Or is it a "buy it and make it work" scenario?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 01:12 AM

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidejam View Post
Thanks for that link. From what I gathered from it, and a bit more research, nobody but Corbin makes a seat for the RS. The Corbin seems way overpriced, doesn't look good (in my opinion anyway. I really don't like the rear part), and has questionable comfort at best.

And evidently, each Shadow seat is specific to the model, sooo, it looks like I'll have to find a seat that I think I'd be happy with and do some custom work to make it fit the bike. I was hoping to find something that would fit out-of-the-box, but apparently that isn't happening. I guess it's time to put my skills to work. I'll report back when I come up with something.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:23 AM

Regardless of the comfort for the Corbin seat, it looks hideous!! Totally ruins the look of an RS.

If possible, I'd try to hunt for a spare seat on eBay or something. Then you can experiment without worry of ruining your only seat.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidejam View Post
Regardless of the comfort for the Corbin seat, it looks hideous!! Totally ruins the look of an RS.

If possible, I'd try to hunt for a spare seat on eBay or something. Then you can experiment without worry of ruining your only seat.
Actually I was thinking about going with a full sprung solo seat, something like this Lepera or Drag Specialties. With full support they should be comfortable enough to handle some longer rides. I'm just not sure if they will physically fit the contours of the bike.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/801-492

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/803...ring-solo-seat

Last edited by cjshaker; 11-09-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page