What battery is everyone running? - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Model: 750 ACE Dlx
Year: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
My regulator fried and I had one fail from Battery Sharks under warranty, they asked for a picture of it out of the bike with a voltage reading and sent me a new one in the mail right away,they didn't want the old battery back.The new one is still in service after three years.
I had purchased a battery from Battery Sharks several years ago to replace the original battery in my '98 750ACE. The battery itself looked like it was built well, but I couldn't get the positive wire to reach the battery post. As I recall, the battery was slightly too tall. I could have modified the wire to get some more clearance, but decided against it.

Customer service was very good; they did in fact verify it was the correct battery for my application even though the positive terminal was out of reach of the red wire. Luckily the return process was quick and easy.

I'd give them another shot next time just based on their customer service!
Phil

1998 VT-750 ACE Deluxe

Sterling Heights, Michigan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 06:29 PM

Model: VT750dc (chain drive)
Year: 2007
I bought a $130 Yuasa battery off of Amazon based on comments from other bikers here. That battery only lasted 2 years. I always kept it on a trickle charger-maintainer during the winter months in Wisconsin. After that experience, I just went to Batteries Plus and bought a premium battery there for $90 that fit perfectly...it has only been installed for a year. Bad luck or no, I won't spend for a Yuasa, again. I can't see spending more on a motorcycle battery than a car battery. My car batteries usually have lasted about 5 years.

2007 Shadow Spirit VT750dc (This is my current bike purchased Sept 2014)
1973 CB750 (owned 1985-1986 while in high school)
1976 AMF/Harley 175 (owned for a few months in 1985 till the piece of junk died)

Last edited by Doctor Dolittle; 06-16-2018 at 06:32 PM.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 04:20 PM

Garage
How lucky for me to find this current thread on batteries. It appears it is time to replace mine. It's showing a full (or over 80% charge), but twice this year I've gone out and if my bike doesn't start right off the bat, the battery goes dead. This is my third year of owning the bike and I know I've never changed the battery, so I guess it's time. Taking the seat off to charge the battery is a huge PITA. I can see where some of you are having issue with the battery being too tall, there is no wiggle room when it comes to the positive terminal in my bike.

So it appears to me from these comments that Walmart is fine, NAPA is good, stay away from Battery Shark due to height issues and the more expensive Yuasa one may or may not be worth it.

"Camille"
1998 Honda Shadow ACE 750
May 2016 Ride of the Month Winner!

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:38 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany1972 View Post
How lucky for me to find this current thread on batteries. It appears it is time to replace mine. It's showing a full (or over 80% charge), but twice this year I've gone out and if my bike doesn't start right off the bat, the battery goes dead. This is my third year of owning the bike and I know I've never changed the battery, so I guess it's time. Taking the seat off to charge the battery is a huge PITA. I can see where some of you are having issue with the battery being too tall, there is no wiggle room when it comes to the positive terminal in my bike.

So it appears to me from these comments that Walmart is fine, NAPA is good, stay away from Battery Shark due to height issues and the more expensive Yuasa one may or may not be worth it.

Oddly enough, it may not be the battery that is going bad.

It could be the alterator in your bike not supplying enough voltage to your battery to fully charge it..

Before you run down and buy a new battery, check the alternator first. It only requires a cheap voltmeter.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 11:20 PM

Model: VT750dc (chain drive)
Year: 2007
Chuck is right on. By a voltmeter. NEVER buy a new battery (for auto or motorcycle) until you check your battery voltage with the engine running. Apply the voltmeter to the battery terminals. If the voltage is at 13ish with the bike running, your alternator and charging system is working, but you know your battery is bad for sure.

2007 Shadow Spirit VT750dc (This is my current bike purchased Sept 2014)
1973 CB750 (owned 1985-1986 while in high school)
1976 AMF/Harley 175 (owned for a few months in 1985 till the piece of junk died)
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 10:34 AM

Just an update, be sure you check/revise your 3 yellow wire connector from your stator to the electrical system. This item is a major culprit to a lot electrical problems.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.

Last edited by h13man; 06-21-2018 at 10:38 AM.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

So I ended up buying a battery from Batteries & Bulbs based on some of the recommendation here and reviews of them online. So far I’m very happy with my purchase. They had a special to save 10% by purchasing online and pick up in store and they are local for me so it worked out. Couldn’t justify the price difference for the yuasa when this one had such great reviews. The battery is very strong so we’ll see how long she lasts. Thanks for all the recommendations.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:40 AM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
When I last replaced mine, it had lasted 4 years...I`m talkin` almost to the day!
The one before was longer than that,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:20 PM

Garage
I know it's too late to change your mind, but I cannot say enough for the scorpion form batterystuff.com, great AGM for an awesome price. Had mine for 5 years now and still starts every time.

Born, Ride, Die. It's just that simple.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dolittle View Post
I bought a $130 Yuasa battery off of Amazon based on comments from other bikers here. That battery only lasted 2 years. I always kept it on a trickle charger-maintainer during the winter months in Wisconsin. After that experience, I just went to Batteries Plus and bought a premium battery there for $90 that fit perfectly...it has only been installed for a year. Bad luck or no, I won't spend for a Yuasa, again. I can't see spending more on a motorcycle battery than a car battery. My car batteries usually have lasted about 5 years.

My recent USA made Yuasa from Amazon cost me $68 delivered dry. Been in 4 mos. w/o a hitch. I never had a failure with any battery in 11 yrs. and most were Yuasa except the Napa which was 12 yrs. old when I replaced it this year due to a slight acid leak on the negative post which occurred last year and I seal it off with non permanent Permatex which got me through to this year. If I have an a issue with this Yuasa, I will get another Napa. The Valk doesn't require a lot to start @ 2 seconds fast thus they use a 14 series battery and have 90 amp./1080 watt alternator to keep it alive and Shadows have 300 watt stators plus harder to start.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.

Last edited by h13man; 07-21-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page