Average stopping distances at different speeds - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Average stopping distances at different speeds

Hi all,
I am just getting back into riding about about 15 years. I have taken the MSC and passed with flying colors . I decided today to do some testing on braking distance. I am curious if anyone else has done this and what kind or results they came up with. Here is what I did. I tested stop distances at 10,25,35,45 mph. I did each test 5 times and used the average distance. I am on a VLX 600 which is a fairly small bike, and I am about 260 lbs.

Results.

10 MPH - 6 Feet
25 MPH - 41 Feet
25 MPH - 85 feet
45 MPH - 155 feet.

All were using both breaks without tire skid.

Very interested if anyone else had done anything like this.

Flanman

"When the rich wage war it's the poor who die"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 07:39 AM

Flanman,

No, I haven't done anything like that but glad you did. I've got a 98 1100 so they don't compute for me. I should do that though. Heck, maybe everyone. Never hurts to know more about our cyces ability and our own.

I recently got back into cycling myself a few years ago. I was smart enough to know back then that I was too stupid to be riding at that point in my life. That aside, how long ago did you get back into it? If not very long, it would be interesting to see if after a year, those distances change with experience...or re-experience.

Not asking you to do it. From reading your post, I think that you might. You seem to be a curious fellow. How did you measure out your distances and where did you find a place to do it?

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 11:07 AM
rmw

I haven't done it but I can tell you the stadard used for the motorcycle operator's safety test (ALT MOST)

20 mph 23'
15 mph 13'
12 mph 9'

The scale actually runs from 12-20 mph, so this is a sample.

Best and Ride Safe
Rick

Dearly Departed 2004 Sabre...RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page