2012 Fuel Pump & Filter questions - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Question 2012 Fuel Pump & Filter questions

Hi, new to the site. 2012 Honda Shadow Spirit.

I appears I need to replace my fuel pump. Long story short, my bike only acts up if the temp is about 90.
I will be going alone or sitting at a red light and it will just cut out. best case, just a ruff idle, can't give more then 1/8 throttle. Worst case, complete die. It will fire right back up and run like nothing happened. Been dealing with this all summer intermittently. Recently linked air temp to the issue. It has to have been warm long enough to have the fuel in the tank warm enough to feel it on my legs while riding.

Either way, I plan to have the fuel pump replaced.

Been looking at the diagram and wondering where exactly the fuel filter is, (part 2). Is it inside the pump ?

Fuel pump is part 1, (appears to have a drawing around it and the filter parts) Looks like it may include everything I need.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...4668#sch800781

Wondering if I buy a Pump, does it come with a filter already inside it or do I need to buy a filter separately? (i have been told yes and no so i am a bit confused).

Is the filter only listed separately in case it needs change separately?

Does anyone have better pictures then I have been able to find on the internet?

Trying not to over or under buy parts. Just don't want to buy a separate filter if one is already included with the pump.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:03 PM

You're assuming it's the fuel pump. You need to do some troubleshooting instead of just throwing parts at it. Fuel pumps don't usually have a problem only some of the time. They work or they don't.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:09 PM

Garage
I think i'd be looking at electrical, like maybe ignition related. That's fuel injected, yes?

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
You're assuming it's the fuel pump. You need to do some troubleshooting instead of just throwing parts at it. Fuel pumps don't usually have a problem only some of the time. They work or they don't.

It is very intermittent. Haven't been able to get it to act up during testing.

Between the years 2012 and 2018 The bike was sitting in a garage and only got a total of 380 miles. During the next 2100, this has been an intermittent issue that has been getting worse.
Talked to local shops and Fuel Pump has been considered the most likely.

Not having any other issues with the bike.

Gas tank has been flushed, fuel treatments have been used. I was thinking I got bad gas several time until I finally noticed the pattern that every time it has been between 90 and 100 degrees.

if I get fresh gas and the tank is cold from the gas coming form ground tanks it runs prefect all evening, but then again I can feel the cold of the tank.

Cool days, I can run 10, 20, 50, 100 miles no issue.
Day gets hot, tank hot, I might run 1 , 2, 5, 10 miles. no way to guess when it will put me on the side of the road. But it straightens up every time i restart it..

(yes, I did make sure it got it 600 mile service, oil, valves, etc.)

Fuel pump is the first part I have found confident enough to consider replacing after talking with people and reading symptoms on the internet.

Yes, it is fuel injected.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:32 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
It can be a problem with fuel injection that the pump wears and when hot it stops working. Same on cars. Hard to verify with out a pressure gauge on while riding.

But the filter is part of the pump assembly.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:39 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Here is a picture.

If you have a manual see if there is a code readout test to see if there are any trouble codes in the computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	59
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	257784  

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
Here is a picture.

If you have a manual see if there is a code readout test to see if there are any trouble codes in the computer.

Thanks I think that picture helps me understand it. It looks like when I buy a replacement, everything in what is labelled the sub tank comes pre assembled ?

not buying from Ebay, just using for a picture i just found. It appears everything, including the filter should be inside the subtank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

I have considered there is a chance the issue is in just the filter at the bottom of the Fuel Pump. I have never owned a bike with a fuel pump/or this type of filter before.

(going to buy from my local shop).

I will post updates once I get it changed.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

I didn't consider there would be a code as it hasn't set off the check engine light, not once. I figured it was like a car/truck check engine. no light, no code. I will check into that.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vontar View Post
Thanks I think that picture helps me understand it. It looks like when I buy a replacement, everything in what is labelled the sub tank comes pre assembled ?

not buying from Ebay, just using for a picture i just found. It appears everything, including the filter should be inside the subtank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

I have considered there is a chance the issue is in just the filter at the bottom of the Fuel Pump. I have never owned a bike with a fuel pump/or this type of filter before.

(going to buy from my local shop).

I will post updates once I get it changed.
A filter would not clog only when it's hot out. If it's going to clog, it would be all of the time.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

After reading here, talking to my mechanic some more I made a decision to explore other possibilities.

We are in the fall/temps are dropping and it had not been over 80 for a couple weeks. Been riding no issue. Figured with winter coming the issue would either disappear if only temp related or something else would get worse and easier to figure out.

Couple days ago 10/10/2018, we had a day that went up to about 90 and about 2 miles from home I was on the side of the road. Engine would run, but I had no power, Couldn't give it over a 1/8 throttle with out killing it.
after parking for about 20 minutes I was able to get it back on the road to leap home. I was doing good to get to 30mph, Power was on and off, a Jerk and nothing maintaining 30mph. Couldn't get to my mechanic to see it of course.

After I got it home, the evening came, cooled down and it has run perfect every since. temp hasn't been over 75 in the past week

So, possible short list of issues,

Still considering Fuel Pump,
Coils,
random electrical BS
and entertaining other ideas.

I know going to the shop for testing, but if they test all day and no issue, it is going to be more costly then just switching suspected parts.

with the exception of 1 day I have road it daily since the last issue with no so much as a hint of an issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page