Painting chrome - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:50 AM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
You mention polish...
That HAS TO come off before any sanding is started!
Wash with a good paint thinner or mineral spirits, I use 3M products...
THEN
I`d use a wet/dry 240 grit (or finer) for chromed plastic, which a lot of our bikes have nowaday...
I use 400 grit wet/dry for real chrome on metal surfaces...
I like wet sanding for best results

BUT Be SURE to get that polish off, lest it`ll "Fish Eye" like Crazy,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Captain D" View Post
You mention polish...
That HAS TO come off before any sanding is started!
Wash with a good paint thinner or mineral spirits, I use 3M products...
THEN
I`d use a wet/dry 240 grit (or finer) for chromed plastic, which a lot of our bikes have nowaday...
I use 400 grit wet/dry for real chrome on metal surfaces...
I like wet sanding for best results

BUT Be SURE to get that polish off, lest it`ll "Fish Eye" like Crazy,
D
Yes! Absolutely. I have already scrubbed with lowngrit steel wool. Its so pitted and bad. I did a light sanding with 240 to knock off the high edges. Acetone is in order when I go into town this afternoon. I dont want to have to do this again in a year or two.

Which brings me to my next question. What paints have y'all found that when cured is hard? I hate to paint from a rattle can but I dont have a sprayer anymore, nor do I have the space to spray two part paints where in living and theres no auto hobby shop on my nearby base

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:57 AM

I have always had good luck with the rattle can paint that says oil and gas resistant it seems to hold up much better, can find big cans of it at Walmart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986 honda shadow vt700c - roxy

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc862011 View Post
I have always had good luck with the rattle can paint that says oil and gas resistant it seems to hold up much better, can find big cans of it at Walmart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, ill take a look. Hopefully tractor supply has something decent. They usually have a good size wall of paints to choose from. I learned the hard way, laquer is NOT durable nor resistant to anything.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:51 PM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1984
Garage
Good etch primers are hard for an average consumer to get due to the toxicity of the product. Wear a good carbon filter mask when spraying. It can be found in spray cans but is expensive. This can runs about $35 cdn. However a little goes a long way. This is not primer. it is an acid that acts as a bonding agent for primer to adhere to. Spray one light coat on prepped metal, allow to dry and then spray 3 coats of primer over top. Sand and then paint. Your painted chrome will last just as long as other any painted metal on your bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15426496204003501258800091328270_1542649636683.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	258826  

🏍
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Did not find any self etching primer today in my search. I do have some sulfuric acid on hand. Wondering, would that do well to etch or remove the chrome in leui of the etching primer?

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:49 PM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1984
Garage
short answer: no. it will clean it well though. etch primer contains phosphoric acid.

🏍
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:12 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1999
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Carr View Post
short answer: no. it will clean it well though. etch primer contains phosphoric acid.

Why no? It shouldn't make a difference in the type of acid you are using, in fact, a stronger acid should do a better job roughing up the chrome. The idea is to get rid of the smoothness so the paint will stick to the metal.

Phosphoric acid is fairly weak, sulfuric acid is a stronger acid. Seems like you could use muriatic acid as well since it's easily available.

I'm going to be painting some worn out chrome sometime in the near future my plan at the moment is to sand prime and paint. The pieces I need to be painted are just pot metal with a very thin layer of chrome. My other option is to buy new pieces but I don't really want to spend the money on that.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyP View Post
Why no? It shouldn't make a difference in the type of acid you are using, in fact, a stronger acid should do a better job roughing up the chrome. The idea is to get rid of the smoothness so the paint will stick to the metal.

Phosphoric acid is fairly weak, sulfuric acid is a stronger acid. Seems like you could use muriatic acid as well since it's easily available.

I'm going to be painting some worn out chrome sometime in the near future my plan at the moment is to sand prime and paint. The pieces I need to be painted are just pot metal with a very thin layer of chrome. My other option is to buy new pieces but I don't really want to spend the money on that.
I learned this the hard way but stay away from pot metal with ANY type of acid. It is far too porous and will continually corrode.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:23 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1999
Garage
I can show you how a high temp paint job came out on my pipes.

Had an extra set of after market pipes that were rusted and pitted.

I used 120 grit sand paper on an orbital sander and some hand sanding.

I used this paint with the matching primer. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylon-High...-oz/1000248383

You need to heat the paint to cure it. Idled for 15 minutes, cool down, heat again at idle cool again then go for a long ride to finish it off. The paint was not very hard until after I came back from a ride and it had cooled down. Problem I had was my boot wore a little hole in the paint. It won't now but it did when I first rode it. I don't know how long this paint will hold up but it seems to working fine for now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181024_165714239.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	258850  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page