Painting chrome - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Painting chrome

So my old gal, 99 aero 1100, needs a facelift, bad. Ive had her for several years, got her when I was 16 or 17. Really has been my main ride since then. Over the years I've cleaned and polished and touched up my fair bit. But there's only so much cleaning and polishing will do. These salted roads in Ohio have taken its toll while I'm stationed up here. So I've decided, since I'm not a fan of chrome anyways, to paint over the chrome in a lot of spots.

I know prep is key to any paint job and ill give the good bonding surface as best I know, but are there any key tips I should keep in mind while attemptong to paint over chrome?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:23 AM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1989
Scuff the surface with really low grit sandpaper or a green pad and use a few coats of self etching primer.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelShadow916 View Post
Scuff the surface with really low grit sandpaper or a green pad and use a few coats of self etching primer.
Ive heard about self etching but have never used it. Does it come in a rattle can?

Through some of my research on it, a lot say to use an epoxy primer. Any added benefits to either?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:29 AM

I have painted chrome a few times and prep is absolutely the key. No smooth surface can be there or it will chip off. Self etching primer works well and does come in rattle can. Do some research of your area if there is a powder coater around you I would try to take that route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986 honda shadow vt700c - roxy
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc862011 View Post
I have painted chrome a few times and prep is absolutely the key. No smooth surface can be there or it will chip off. Self etching primer works well and does come in rattle can. Do some research of your area if there is a powder coater around you I would try to take that route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish I could powder coat all of the chrome but it's not an option. Certain parts I can't let then bake sooooo paint is my option

Thanks for the tips guys!

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:37 AM

Sand blasting is an option but some parts have to be protected/taped to prevent it getting in the wrong places.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:52 AM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1984
Garage
Ive painted lots of chrome, real and electro plated plastic. Sand with 80 grit, clean well and spray with an etching primer. Its really no different than painting any other metal chrome is just very hard so most people dont sand it well enough.

🏍
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Carr View Post
Ive painted lots of chrome, real and electro plated plastic. Sand with 80 grit, clean well and spray with an etching primer. Its really no different than painting any other metal chrome is just very hard so most people dont sand it well enough.
Thanks for that tip! Im pretty comfortable painting most materials, and ill keep that in mind.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by h13man View Post
Sand blasting is an option but some parts have to be protected/taped to prevent it getting in the wrong places.
I do have a harbor freight sand blaster, and I'm planning on using that for a couple pieces, its SUCH a mess though.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:49 AM

Model: Spirit 750 VT750DC
Year: 2003
Garage
You could always just paint over it with Plastidip, and you just have to make sure the surface is clean, no special prep work, no sanding, scuffing, or otherwise marring the chrome. I did it to my dash, which was blinding me around the corner from my house every day. The one thing you need to be aware of is that it's not permanently stuck to it, and can be peeled off if you don't like the way it looks. This means, though, that places where bolts go in, or anything hitting and moving it, can peel the paint, like around the bolts when you go to tighten them, unless you use tape around those spots just enough for the bolts, and peel it off before the paint completely dries. And, it comes in some different colors, but not many. It would be an easy and cheap way to "black out" a bike without permanently changing the look of the bike, so it could be sold with the chrome later.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

Ride Bells by blue flames & shadowride69 (THANKS!!)
'13 Harley Dyna Super Glide (FXDC)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page