Still having Problems (Carburetor ) - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
I bought some of these and compared then in size to the original jets. I have not installed them into the carbs yet but they are good looking parts for a cheap price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-42-Set...53.m1438.l2649
Thanks for the link,,, I'm getting good at removing and reinstalling the carburetors. I can have them off in 15 minuets or less now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:44 AM

Still having Problems (Carburetor )

I scanned through the posts and havenít seen this, I bring it up because i did it the first time I was in the same carbs. The covers to the diaphragms have little dimples in them that line up with a port that the diaphragm is formed around in the rim. I didnít pay attention the first time and didnít line the dimple up with the ports. Another thing to check is when itís all together hold the carbs as if they were installed in the bike and lift the slide inside the carb and see if it slides down smoothly and by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986 honda shadow vt700c - roxy

Last edited by tc862011; 12-03-2018 at 07:11 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc862011 View Post
I scanned through the posts and havenít seen this, I bring it up because it did it the first time I was in the same carbs. The covers to the diaphragms have little dimples in them that line up with a port that the diaphragm is formed around in the rim. I didnít pay attention the first time and didnít line the dimple up with the ports. Another thing to check is when itís all together hold the carbs as if they were installed in the bike and lift the slide inside the carb and see if it slides down smoothly and by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm aware of how the diaphragms and pistons work. I did have problems with the old diaphragms. I had to stretch and massage the rubber to get them limbered up and stretched to fit back right so they did not slip out of the grove when reinstalling the lids.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 01:20 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
If you spray carb cleaner into the non running cylinder at idle will it instantly pick up and run for a bit?

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
If you spray carb cleaner into the non running cylinder at idle will it instantly pick up and run for a bit?
You are correct. I did and it does pick up and run for a bit. I did so last night and I have the bike running better. I think if I can get the bike on the road and run a couple tanks of 91 octane with some seafoam it will clear up. Its going to have to warm up outside first. My old bones and arthritis do not like freezing temperatures anymore.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:03 PM

I had a similar problem with my 86 VT1100. Mine would start most of the time but fail after a short warm up. I was getting spark with the plugs removed, but apparently much not under load. The plugs would be wet with gas.
After cleaning and checking the carburetors twice, replacing the coils, and examining the ignition module. I found by studying an exploded parts diagram, there is a 5K resistor inside the spark plug cap.
Using a flat blade screwdriver, unscrew the inside top of the spark plug cap. There I found the problem, the resistor was dirty/crusty from 30 years of use. The factory may have had some sort of protectant/lubricant, but I have not been able to identify what was supposed to be in there.
I cleaned the small resistor and have had no problems since.

Hope That helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page