Technical question about exhaust wraps - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Model: VT1100C2 Sabre
Year: 2002
Garage
Question Technical question about exhaust wraps

I've been going back and forth about exhaust wrap in my head for a long time now - the pro's, the con's, etc. Is the look worth the potential damage to the pipes? Will I still burn the pinata out of my leg? Should I put $50 into wrap when I can put $25 into sanding and painting?

All my questions did bring up something I could not find a solid answer to though - I know that wrap will increase the heat inside the pipe, and therefore increase the scavenging effect and speed up the exhaust flow. Will this inevitably lead to a lean situation? In theory, since I'd be "increasing" the effectiveness of the exhaust, it should lean out the mixture right?

Honestly at this point I'm a bigger fan of EFI, but if I can ever nail this carb thing I might be more amicable to them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I should also add that I'm thinking of cutting the pipes shorter too - I've got the V&H Longshots and they are a bit long for me... that isn't going to affect the AF mix is it? I've never heard of it doing that but figured I'd ask the experts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:10 AM

Technical question about exhaust wraps

I like wrapped pipes, it definitely helps with heat but will still burn you. Only time it has burned me was because I didnít realize my pant leg was touching it at a read light and when I took of the hot spot on my jeans then touched my leg. Never got hot enough to melt anything tho. If you do wrap start the wrap at the end and work your way towards the flange. I do this so the wind doesnít grab the overlay of the wrap. I have worn out a few wraps just by the wind damage to wrapping it backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986 honda shadow vt700c - roxy

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the input - I really like the look too, even when the black fades out a bit, I think it looks even better... Just my style though, I like stuff worn in, like knurled anodized aluminum that has worn down a bit.

I'm just concerned that by adding the wrap, I'll be creating a potentially leaner situation than just leaving the pipes as is or painting due to the added scavenging effect.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 AM

Technical question about exhaust wraps

It really didnít really do anything other then helping keep the pipes cooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986 honda shadow vt700c - roxy
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:57 PM

Model: Phantom
Year: 2011
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironsky View Post
I should also add that I'm thinking of cutting the pipes shorter too - I've got the V&H Longshots and they are a bit long for me... that isn't going to affect the AF mix is it? I've never heard of it doing that but figured I'd ask the experts.
I too am interested in hearing if anyone has just cut their pipes shorter. I want some V&H short shots but can't get the wifey to okay the purchase. In the process of wrapping the pipes but still don't like the length of my stock pipes.

I love this game!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 11:13 AM

Model: Shadow ACE
Year: 2001
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce72 View Post
I too am interested in hearing if anyone has just cut their pipes shorter. I want some V&H short shots but can't get the wifey to okay the purchase. In the process of wrapping the pipes but still don't like the length of my stock pipes.
Ask for "FORGIVENESS" not "Permission" hehe, I hear ya the cost of the pipes is a bit steep. I am trying to hide some cash here and there and hopefully will have a set soon.

Dress for the slide not the ride
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:42 PM

Model: Phantom
Year: 2011
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmovingtarget View Post
Ask for "FORGIVENESS" not "Permission" hehe, I hear ya the cost of the pipes is a bit steep. I am trying to hide some cash here and there and hopefully will have a set soon.
As an only child the forgiveness not permission is used a lot. Price of pipes isn't so bad but I hear that it is recommended to have a fuel thingy put on when installing the pipes I want. And that part is expensive.

I love this game!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:48 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironsky View Post
I've been going back and forth about exhaust wrap in my head for a long time now - the pro's, the con's, etc. Is the look worth the potential damage to the pipes? Will I still burn the pinata out of my leg? Should I put $50 into wrap when I can put $25 into sanding and painting?

All my questions did bring up something I could not find a solid answer to though - I know that wrap will increase the heat inside the pipe, and therefore increase the scavenging effect and speed up the exhaust flow. Will this inevitably lead to a lean situation? In theory, since I'd be "increasing" the effectiveness of the exhaust, it should lean out the mixture right?

Honestly at this point I'm a bigger fan of EFI, but if I can ever nail this carb thing I might be more amicable to them.

This is a first for me. How does increasing the temperature inside an exhaust pipe speed up the flow?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:10 AM

Model: VT700 & NV750
Year: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Michigan View Post
This is a first for me. How does increasing the temperature inside an exhaust pipe speed up the flow?
I don't know if this works for exhaust systems or not, but I can see it being possible. I do know from some of my time working with certain engineers many years back that certain steam-powered machines used to add extra heat into the steam to give it extra energy - the extra heat allowing more work to be extracted from a given amount of steam. However that's under a highly pressurised system with much different dynamics to a bike's exhaust!

The wrap would cause the exhaust to run hotter, meaning the gasses do have extra energy available to them. But I personally expect that the increase in temp would be relatively small (20 degrees?) and with the rather open nature of an exhaust, I doubt it'd make much of a difference (without doing any real maths on the matter!).

I can also see outside air temperature differences having more of an effect - colder air means a greater volume of air is drawn into the cylinder. Vehicles have more power on a frosty winter morning than they do on a mid summer's afternoon, and I expect that'd have more of an effect than the wrap would.

But it is just after midnight here, and I've been rather busy today

I've love to know more on the matter myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page