2003 honda sabre bog - Page 4 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Michigan View Post
It seems to me that the infamous "4 degree timing mod" would have been tested in the real world with dyno runs that produced horsepower and torque readouts. Are there any available to look at?

Only answer that I have seen to this is it doesnít actually produce more power, just helps the power curve and gives more throttle response. Basically takes the detune out of the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986 honda shadow vt700c - roxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturai View Post
Im going to try to cut a vent cap and put it on the tube and see if it helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturai View Post
The cap did not work it started to cut out when I gave it full throttle
Hey V,

I have to ask: Exactly where are you trying (or actually doing) to put this cap?

The plastic offset T joint with the open barbed end between the tops of the carbs is the float bowl vent. You do not plug the open end of the rubber hose that attaches to the barb, it is a VENT and has to remain open.

On the 49 state Sabre carbs, the barb (of the plastic joint) points rearward. The rubber hose attaches to that barb and then it snakes behind the rear cylinder. At the bottom of the rear cylinder, it snakes behind the left rear crankcase chrome cover. There are 2 quick clips with thick washers that secure the top of that chrome cover and a 10mm nutted stud that holds it on the bottom middle. Once the quick clips are pulled and the bottom nut is removed you have to wiggle (if it has never been removed before it will require judicious wiggling force) the cover to get the tapered bosses to come out of their rubber grommeted holes. Behind the chromed cover you will find the starter gears cover (kinda triangle shaped). Below that starter gear cover, tucked up tight to the engine, is where the end of the float bowl vent rubber hose (that comes off of the barbed plastic offset T pipe on the carbs) sits on the 49 state non-emission controlled Sabre carbs. At that location is a vinyl coated bendable hose retention strap. Being behind the chromed cover and tucked up tight to the engine is how the open end of that rubber hose stays out of the air flow no matter what speed you are going.

There are other 'out of the air flow' places on the bike where you can run the end of that open rubber hose. Just be sure that the hose does not get pinched flat wherever you put it.

When you removed the emission controls what did you use to block the open vacuum ports on the carbs. The rubber nipple caps that you can pick up at any auto parts store are made from Buna rubber. Buna rubber does not do well in applications around heat and fuel. You are much better off to
snip a piece of the original hose just long enough to push on the nipple and plug the end with a screw.

I tried to find the jets on Ebay that you indicated that you installed. I couldn't find that jet kit. There is a wide variance in jet sizing actual hole diameter from manufacturer to manufacturer. Each manufacturer has their own standard for sizing and no 2 match up. If what you installed is not genuine Keihin jets, again, I would suggest that you go back and start at a baseline condition and move forward in 1 step increments.

You mentioned that you had removed the plugs to access the pilot screws. There was no mention of if you had checked synch or what the pilot screw setting is at now?

I have yet to tune a set of Sabre carbs that I didn't pull, make changes, and re-install, at least 7 times. But then again, I do enjoy tinkering, and the bike is going to do exactly as I want it to do when I get through.

What doesn't seem to be common knowledge is that the 2000-2007 Honda VT1100 Sabre comes from the factory with 2 degrees more advance than the other 1100 Honda from the same era. That is the reason that companies such as Dynatek did not make an ignition module for the Sabre like they did for some of the other 1100 Shadows. That info doesn't even show up in service manuals. Trying to advance the timing on the 00-07 Sabre further than what is built in will not end well and be wasted time (been there, done that).

With your carbs properly tuned and having a somewhat free'r flowing air filter and exhaust (2 into 1 V&H Propipe being the best) you can expect an honest 5 to 8 HP gain but nothing more.

The Sabre 'performance' can be improved some but with an 8:1 compression ratio and a rev limiter at 6200 RPMs the proverbial 'sky is the limit' mantra does not apply. It was built to be a fine cruiser and that is exactly what it is.

post #33 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:36 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc862011 View Post
Only answer that I have seen to this is it doesnít actually produce more power, just helps the power curve and gives more throttle response. Basically takes the detune out of the motor.

You say you've seen the dyno results where the power curve has been helped?

post #34 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:37 PM

No I havenít seen any dyno paperwork, just seen people answer with that.

post #35 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:39 PM

Just regurgitating stuff I have read. No actual evidence from personal scenarios

post #36 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:04 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc862011 View Post
Just regurgitating stuff I have read. No actual evidence from personal scenarios

Ok, got it.

I think the only real way we will know if this works is to see a controlled experiment with before and after dyno runs. Especially because we are relying on people's opinions of whether a gain of a couple of horsepower can actually be noticed.
post #37 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Model: sabre 1100c2
Year: 2003
Garage
I put a plug on the end of the vent with a slit in it my t is facing towards the front of the bike not the back I have tried to rotate it but it will not and I have not seen that hole I have had the covers off I'll look again tomorrow I have not synced them because I did not touch the screw i got the bike to run ok by putting a longer tube and putting the hose near the air box got up to 80 then it started to bog instead of 65 75 I will go back to stock jets soon as I get time I saw on a website on what jets to use if you have an after market air intake and I believe I will keep the main the same but change pilot maybe the other way around I need to check my notes on my shop laptop I will search for that nipple soon thank you for all the help

you can't make the perfect girlfriend but you can make the perfect bike
post #38 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's the link for jets
https://www.ebay.com/itm/95-07-VT110...=1643236402019

post #39 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The screw was at 2 and a half turns befor I started now I mess with it to try to get the right a/f mix I'll see what they are at now

post #40 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bike now bogs at 80 used to do it at 65 70 I adjusted the a/f screw to 1 and a half turns I also put the carb hose where it should be. Going to go down to stock and see how she runs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page