problem with our honda shadow - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Model: VT600
Year: 1988
problem with our honda shadow

Dear forum members,

we own a Honda Shadow VT600 year 1988, which we've been modifying for a long number of years, during which it always have been in an excellent working order including engine running perfectly fine.

Until one fine day, when we decided to remove engine, fuel tank, wheels etc etc in order to spray the frame, tank, and mudguard. All ready, assembled everything back, engine started fine but after couple of minutes, it ran so bad that it died shortly afterwards. Baffled as we were, we checked everything to make sure assembly is all ok, but still issue persisted. To make it even a "mystery", days afterwards we try to start it, runs perfectly fine but then again after some minutes, runs bad and dies afterwards. We changed the plugs, changed coils, we even bought a new carb, but same story again and again

We're almost out of options now, therefore, trying our luck with all you guys to enlighten us what more can we do/check??

Thanks very much in advance

Last edited by ragingspeed; 03-06-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 02:35 PM

Model: Shadow ACE
Year: 2001
Garage
If it were me, I would start by checking all the simple stuff. the booted connections on the carb/carbs from the air box to the engine to make sure there is not gaps or leeks.

double check the air box to make sure it is clear,

Try bypassing the tank and fuel filter and feed the fuel line gas directly from a bottle.

Dress for the slide not the ride
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:26 PM

Garage
Open the gas cap to make sure your vent isn't plugged. Also check the strainer on the petcock and filter to make sure they aren't getting plugged up.

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:43 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Run it till it starts to falter and shut it off and loosen the drain screw on the carb and see if 1-2 ounces of fuel runs out. The pump may be failing as it warms up.

If that is good check spark as the pulse generators or the ignition unit may be failing when hot.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilie View Post
Open the gas cap to make sure your vent isn't plugged. Also check the strainer on the petcock and filter to make sure they aren't getting plugged up.

I would agree with this, typical results of a tank vent not working, what happens is the gas flow slowly creates a negative pressure and with out a vent to normalize pressure itís like putting your finger on the end of a straw the gas stops moving and it chokes out, once it starts to run like crap open your gas cap, you will hear a rush of air and it should run better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986 honda shadow vt700c - roxy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:10 PM

Garage
And if everything else that those who know motorcycles suggested doesn’t work, take a look and make sure your exhaust is not blocked in any way. I’m no bike mechanic, just throwing ideas out there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:47 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1999
Garage
Sounds like a heat caused vapor lock somewhere. Gas cap, check that, that is a good place to start. Is the fuel line in the right place? I once had a problem with the fuel line getting too hot and it caused a vapor lock so the bike would just die after running well for a few minutes. Heat has something to do with this for sure. I know that doesn't help figure it out but I would be thinking something is getting way to hot once the bike is running. Could be something electronic getting heated up too much. ??

!999 VT1100C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page