Full throttle chirping - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:27 AM

My 06' 1100 Spirit had a unusual "kinda chirpy" under acceleration from day 1 @ 2,800 mi. till 35,000 mi. the day it left. Nature of the beast. If my memory serve's me right, years ago someone mentioned the PAR valves working had something to do with it.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.

Last edited by h13man; 03-13-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:08 AM

Hello,

does anybody know, if there is a possibility to adjust the hydraulic valves? The sound (first chirping, then short rattle,
not very loud) makes me worried about it a bit. On the other hand the motor sounds very healty over all.

An other reason might be leaky exhaust, but mine is tight.
A further reason might be coal in the combustion chamber. As far as I could see the exhaust area of the motor where you mount the exhaust it was pretty clean. When there is too much coal the motor starts to "knock" or to "tinkle".

It is difficult to find an mechanic for this problem, and some say it's not possible that it is caused by the valves as they are hydraulic valves.

http://dievastevas.blogspot.com/2010...w-vt-1100.html
it says the motor has to be seperated from the bike and then adjusting the valves

thank you
florian

Last edited by ShadowFlo; 03-16-2019 at 07:20 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:40 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
You don't want to tear the engine out and overhaul the top end do you? I would look at more possibilities for a chirp before the valve train. Not a normal valve looseness sound.

Someone mentioned the headlight bucket and I remember other guys talking about that too. Just wrap a few wraps of electrical tape around the front trim and bucket, and ride just to eliminate that possibility. Easy to get electrical tape off cleanly.

I like your expression about "coal". You mean carbon build up on top of the pistons causing higher compression and possible pinging under acceleration. Easy test is to put in premium fuel and it will change it if that is a problem.

Go around your bike and tap on anything attached with a rubber mallet or just the side of your fist to see if any thing makes a sound. I had my horn bracket crack and made some weird squeaky buzzy noises until I discovered it broken.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:11 PM

@swifty2014 Nope I don't want to do that
which other part of the valves could it be?
It's definately the motor as it's always in combination with a certain rev. I have spent a lot of time servicing the bike, there are no loose parts.

I spent some time on the www and it seems that ticking is a known problem with these motors, but seems that there are different reasons.
I have found this one but I did not understand yet what it's about...
The Sabre Group Tech & Mods
At least in my case, that sounds are less present when it's cold or the motor isn't too hot. And I have no/almost no sounds at running idle. That Putoline fully synthetic oil is just awesome.

I tried different types of gasoline without an effect.

Last edited by ShadowFlo; 03-16-2019 at 03:57 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:52 AM

If it has carbs it may be fuel spitting out because its dumping too much into the carbs and it caughs it up out the air intake. Noticable more if you have air filter pods because they will be wet with fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page