1985 VT1100C - Prioritizing repairs - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

1985 VT1100C - Prioritizing repairs

I picked up a 1985 VT1100C for $750 that needs some significant work to get back on the road. (The PO said it had an intermittent charging issue, but the regulator and stator both tested good. He disassembled most of the electrical systems trying to find the issue, and it's still in pieces.) I've identified most of what needs to be done (so far), but I'm not sure how I should prioritize the work. The list of what I have identified so far is (in no particular order):

1) Missing front turn signal
2) Reinstall instrument cluster/reconnect front electronics/ignition switch (everything is disconnected)
3) New battery (battery was missing)
4) Front brakes have no fluid (I'd likely replace the brake lines while I'm at it)
5) Clutch lever replaced (I have the lever, but need hardware to reattach it)
6) Front fender reinstall
7) Headlight bulb missing (replace with LED?)
One rear shock bad (definitely replace both)
9) Routine maintenance (change oil, coolant, spark plugs, etc)
10) Rekey helmet holder on side (I only got one key which works for the gas tank and ignition switch, but not the helmet holder)

I'm eager to get started, but I'm not sure where to begin or what resources I will need. I expect I need to do 2 before I do 1, 3, and 7. I can probably do 6 while I have the front wheel off to work on 4. I would expect #5 would be easy (though I don't know what else might be missing with the clutch). 8 and 10 I can do at almost any time (though I'd wait until I can test the electronics first), and 9 should probably be the last.

Am I missing anything? If I'm going to start with 2, and all the wires are disconnected, what is the best way to make sure I get everything hooked up right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:42 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
You haven't heard it run yet it sounds like.

What if it has a bad piston or rod bearing and you spend hours working on the lights and other parts ?
Get it at least running first. Then you know you love or want to sell it.
A manual with wiring would be a good investment.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
You haven't heard it run yet it sounds like.

What if it has a bad piston or rod bearing and you spend hours working on the lights and other parts ?
I bought it from a friend of a friend. It wasn't originally a parts bike, but the charging issue turned it into one. (He had 2 1985 1100s, and had one configured for around town and this one was going to be his highway/road trip bike. My friend saw it running (and even helped troubleshoot the charging issue, helping to test the regulator and stator), so I trust it is good, but if not I'm willing to chance it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
Get it at least running first. Then you know you love or want to sell it.
A manual with wiring would be a good investment.
I have both the Haynes and Chilton manuals for the bike. Any other references that would be recommended? (I've worked with electronics for about 30 years, so I am quite familiar with wiring diagrams.)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
1) Motor to get you from point A to point B

2) Brakes to stop you once you get to point B

3) Lights, so you can get back.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:24 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1994
Garage
You need to get it running, drive-able, and legal first, so you need the electronics hooked back up (2), and a battery (3) done first to get it running.
After that, get the brakes taken care of (4) and do routine maintenance (9).
Clutch lever (5) and headlight (7) would be next, so it should now be street legal.
Depending on how bad the rear shock (8 ) is, it may be able to wait a bit, so 8 is questionable as to when.

Most states require either all turn signals to work if they are there, or to have no turn signals. So #1 can wait if it is a major issue, depending on your state laws.
Front fender (7) is not a priority, and helmet holder (10), for me I would not even bother at all.

So my list in order would be:

Priority to get bike running:
2) Reinstall instrument cluster/reconnect front electronics/ignition switch (everything is disconnected)
3) New battery (battery was missing)

then get bike road worthy:
4) Front brakes have no fluid (I'd likely replace the brake lines while I'm at it)
5) Clutch lever replaced (I have the lever, but need hardware to reattach it)
9) Routine maintenance (change oil, coolant, spark plugs, etc)
7) Headlight bulb missing (replace with LED?)
1) Missing front turn signal
8. One rear shock bad (definitely replace both)

last:
6) Front fender reinstall
10) Rekey helmet holder on side (I only got one key which works for the gas tank and ignition switch, but not the helmet holder)

1994 VT1100C
Darkside 185/65/15 rear tire
Perilli Route MT66 110/90/19 front tire

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

I've been busy knocking out as much as I can.

The instrument cluster is reassembled now. I got the battery (a $100 Lithium one off Amazon) yesterday, hooked it up and everything seems to be good. I was even able to crank the starter (though with no gas in it, it's not likely to start). It was such an incredible feeling to hear that cranking. I may actually be able to get this thing running!

None of the turn signals are working, but the brake light is good. after I replaced the front brake switch.

The clutch lever is back on and attached. I need to get some DOT4 fluid for both the clutch and front brake master cylinders. (How much should I need? Neither the Haynes nor the Clymer manuals give an amount.)

I ordered new turn signals today, as well as new diaphragms for both master cylinders and a rebuild kit for the clutch master (might as well while it's drained).

I even have the front fender back in place, though I need the right bolts to hold it. (If I'm reading the parts diagrams right, it's 3 12mm M6 bolts and 1 16mm M6.)

For the shocks, I have 2 options. It turns out that my wife's bike (1984 VT700C) uses the same shocks, but is a little too high for her comfort. I can order 11.5" shocks for her bike and swap her shocks onto my bike, or I can just order new shocks for me. Either way, I'm spending the $300 on some new Progressive 412 shocks (unless there's a better option).

That leaves just the routine maintenance and headlight to (hopefully) have a street worthy bike. I may also spring for new seat covers to replace the torn ones on there now, but that can wait until it's running.

Last edited by grylnsmn; 04-02-2019 at 12:03 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:28 PM

Model: VT500
Year: 1983
Garage
I'd get her the short shocks and swap hers over...
never underestimate the power of smooching a little wifey booty

Ride paranoid. Don't let anything distract you.
Keep the paint side up, wear the lid & leathers.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shrek View Post
I'd get her the short shocks and swap hers over...
never underestimate the power of smooching a little wifey booty
They are arriving tomorrow. I learned years ago (on our first date) that she can outshoot me. Keeping her happy is my #1 priority. It's called survival.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

A quick update:

I have all of the electrical work done, except I discovered that the rear turn signals are missing the bullet connectors (connectors arrive tomorrow). The new shocks are on my wife's bike, and her old ones are now on the 1100. Front fender is reattached, and the front brake and clutch master cylinders are refilled and bled. I had to replace the brake and clutch switches.

I managed to partially fill the tank yesterday, and got the engine to fire up. It idled at about 4-500 RPM, and dies if you give it any throttle or cut back on the choke (suggests carb cleaning is needed, which I expected), and it looks like the stator is intermittently dying on it. New stator arrives Friday, and I already have a gasket for it. It should be fairly easy to do, since I did the same replacement on my wife's bike last month.

Current plan:
1) Rear turn signals (when connectors arrive tomorrow)
2) Replace stator (Hopefully this Saturday), retest if bike will run better
3) Clean carbs (if it runs better after replacing the stator, I will probably run some seafoam through them first)
4) Get the helmet holder lock rekeyed (not a priority, but it would be nice)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page