Shift lever slop fix ? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Model: Shadow Ace Deluxe VT750CDD
Year: 2002
Garage
Shift lever slop fix ?

I found old posts about this problem but the solution was fuzzy. Poster said to use .0001 brass shims. First, .0001 thick would be a foil like material, second if correct where do you get this stuff. Or maybe I just need a new pivot bolt. I could add another washer I guess. Shifts a bit clunky but works fine. Just wondering if this was the cause. I fully realize a clunky shift can be caused by improper chain tension and clutch cable adjustment. Some guys say not to worry about it. But if you think about it this probably the most used joint on the bike and normal wear and tear would cause it to get sloppy over time. Here's a quick video...
Mother

My PC has gotten real slow lately, a classic symptom of Sh!t Buffer Overflow, once your sh!t buffer is full, it's over man, especially if there is a fan nearby. -- Mother

Unwritten rules and regulations are not worth the paper they're not written on. -- Mother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:20 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Brass shim stock is used in machine shops for set up on machines and other things. Why not make it easy and use nylon or polypropylene such as a milk jug and cut your own circle shim? Tough stuff nowadays.

Since it doesn't spin at any RPM it may last for years and easy to replace.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/brass-Shim-...ss!98042!US!-1

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mother and the wobble shaft

Got the shifter slop fixed for now. Got a new pivot bolt for $12, as you can see in the pictures the old bolt was worn down about .009, and gentlemen that is hardened steel. So if that is worn that much I'm sure the shifter lever is worn much more. Nevertheless I installed it and used the suggestion above to make a plastic washer from a milk jug (actually used the cap, it was thicker). See the video for the final slop, went from about 1/2” slop to about 1/8”, feels a lot better on my toe, firmer shift. The old post said to use .0001 brass shims, was a typo tho, should be .001. Shims were $17 so I went with the pivot bolt. It works for now, gonna order the shifter, $34 for the final repair. So, that's the fix for a sloppy shifter, new pivot bolt and new shift lever should do it. Pretty obvious answer but I had to know. The mount that holds all this was rust colored like Honda didn't even paint it. Same for the mount on the right side of the bike too. I had some blue engine paint to fix that, dried it with my high tech oven (blow dryer) looks a lot better, do the right side later. Anybody else's mount look like that ? Just wondering... I talk too much...
Mother

Here's a short video of the final slop, see the video in the above post for the initial slop.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OldPivotBolt.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	615.2 KB
ID:	261512   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewPivotBolt.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	527.2 KB
ID:	261514   Click image for larger version

Name:	painted.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	624.9 KB
ID:	261516  

My PC has gotten real slow lately, a classic symptom of Sh!t Buffer Overflow, once your sh!t buffer is full, it's over man, especially if there is a fan nearby. -- Mother

Unwritten rules and regulations are not worth the paper they're not written on. -- Mother

Last edited by Tellmymother; 04-02-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Additional comment

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:40 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
They don't make brass shim stock in .0001 sizes.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Michigan View Post
They don't make brass shim stock in .0001 sizes.
At the time I did not know that, as I am not a machinist. That's one of those things where people think "well, everybody knows that". Learn something every day.
Mother

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:02 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Good to hear you got it fixed.
A .001" (1/1000) inch shim would do you no good, let alone a 1/10,000 shim. A human hair is about .002 "
Plastic nowadays is so tough and slippery, that fix may last years.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Final log, gear shifter slop

Got the new gear shift lever in. I was surprised it didn't include the rubber toe for it. That was actually the hardest part of the job was getting that rubber piece of the old lever. The old lever was worn out .006" so that plus the pivot bolt wear (.009) explains the slop. Total cost, lever and pivot bolt plus shipping $55. The washer worked fine but I figure I better get the parts while I can. Photos below if interested. This project is done, others in progress...
Mother
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewLever.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	539.5 KB
ID:	261926   Click image for larger version

Name:	OldLever.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	561.8 KB
ID:	261928  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page