Fork Seals - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDoctor View Post
I am reassembling a fork. I have not added oil since it has not been delivered yet. I wanted to put the fork cap back on to keep the internals clean but it is very hard to compress the spring far enough.

Is this normal since there is no oil in the fork or did I do something wrong?
Yes it is hard, those springs are not easy to compress. It often takes 2 people to do this. 1 to compress, the other to turn the screw/cap thing.
I would put a cup over it and tape it shut.
Or just go to auto parts store and buy fluid and return what you ordered. No need in risking screwing up those threads doing it 2x.
Probably need to compress 3" worth of spring I am guessing.

Ride Bell By The Bride and Canyon
Retired bell by Old Dad
2 time BOTM winner
06 VTX Glide & 05 ST1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Model: VT600C
Year: 1993
Alright......new fork seals are in!! Followed Two Wheel Rocco's videos. Everything was a piece of cake.

The broken pivot bolt came right out with a left hand drill bit.

I'm getting ready to add the fork oil now. Is there a trick to know exactly how much you put in? or do you do the level measurement with a caliper?

1993 Shadow VT600C
2001 Suzuki Kat 750
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Alright......new fork seals are in!! Followed Two Wheel Rocco's videos. Everything was a piece of cake.

The broken pivot bolt came right out with a left hand drill bit.

I'm getting ready to add the fork oil now. Is there a trick to know exactly how much you put in? or do you do the level measurement with a caliper?
I used a measuring cup. Poured up proper amount for each side. Add slowly, move the shock some to get air out and then finish adding.

****Not one from the kitchen, I bought one just for oil with ounce markings****

No Sig, someone whined and I lost it.. Crybaby....

Ride Bell By The Bride and Canyon
Retired bell by Old Dad
2 time BOTM winner
06 VTX Glide & 05 ST1300

Last edited by Coop; 04-09-2019 at 07:39 PM.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Mark the thread engagement of caps with marker. This makes install soooo much better for one person to install.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:31 PM

Model: VT750DC
Year: 2005
Use a screwdrive as a dipstick...
A bulb type turkey baster from the local grocery store(~$2) is also a nice to have for adding/removing small amounts of oil...
especially when ya put a bit to much oil in the crankcase after an oil change!

05 Shadow Spirit VT750DC

Last edited by KaBob; 04-11-2019 at 08:40 PM.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:06 PM

Model: Spirit
Year: 2002
Garage
I always have a rough time compressing those springs in there. My best technique is to use a carpenter bar clamp that is longer than the fork. I put a small 1/2 inch piece of pvc pipe under the screw to keep it from pivoting. It is easy enough to compress this way but I still use 2 people. One to hold everything aligned while I try screwing the cap down and pray it doesn't slip losing parts.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:52 PM

Model: 2007 Shadow 600
Quote:

Also the hex plug at the bottom of the fork seems to just spin with the internals. Is it safe to use an impact to try to break it loose?
Rehash but the reason the hex bolt spins is that you're not able to hold the fork piston from spinning while unscrewing the hex bolt (second pic). So, it's like trying to open the cap on a jar without holding the jar from moving. Both components spin together. (The hex bolt screws into the fork piston.)

There are methods of course and special and diy tools which have been well covered previously. I like to use the diy tool because I don't like chafing the aluminum surface that the fork piston rest upon inside the lower fork. More a personal preference though since I don't have evidence that any chafing actually occurs.

Anyways, the cylinder for the fork piston is the inside area of the fork tube. A piston requires a cylinder. The reciprocating fork piston dampens the pogo effect of the fork's coil spring so on. The bottom end of the fork tube is formed with a reduced diameter than the rest of the fork tube (bottom pic). The reduced diameter is less than the diameter of the piston head so the fork piston cannot travel any lower than the bottom end of the fork tube. That is, the fork piston is captured by the fork tube.

This design prevents the front end from falling off the bike when your front end goes airborne or you jack up the front end of the bike, but for this design to work, it wouldn't be possible without the pesky fork bolt. And had it not been for the trouble it takes to remove the hex bolt, it's value would probably go unheralded.

2007 Honda Shadow 600
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:14 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Ron,

That's the best and simplest explanation of how forks work I've seen. Period.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:41 AM

Model: 2007 Shadow 600
thanx chuck.

2007 Honda Shadow 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page