Progressive shock HD verses standard? - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:29 AM

For the fork, you can put some plastic tube or something similar to preload the spring. Combined with a 10 or 15wt oil of Motul bike handles much better.

For the rear shocks, you can get some from YSS. There are different versions, the more expensive ones have some adjustable damping. I have got myself a pair of them, for about 450 usd. The cheaper ones are between 150 to 200 usd.
https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/v...es_twin_shocks

Some of the dealers can get you the proper spring, or you get the standard spring. I am pretty happy with my pair of yss, the Showa shocks had no damping whatsoever... The quality of the yss is excellent, for that price. Other brands here in Germany are much more expensive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1999
Garage
Hey Shadowflo I might try the PVC thing. What size PVC do you need and how much more in length are you talking about? 1/2 inch? 1 inch? 1/4inch? It would be easier for me to have idea before just randomly putting different size pipes in the forks.

It's just a matter of removing the caps and switch out the spacers, right? This is a used bike so I don't know if when the progressive springs were put if they put in the right size spacer or what they did? The guy might have liked a softer ride than me?

!999 VT1100C
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:44 PM

CoreyP, I can't remember the diameter I'm sorry (about 3 cm?). There is already a metal tube and some washers in there. I took some additional metal washers for a little preload, something like 1,5 cm. You can increase the level of the oil, like that the fork will be more progressive. But not too much, as the seals would start leaking. The maximum referring the green manual 447,5 ccm, minimum 442,5. I don't know how much higher you can get without getting problems.
You may not unscrew the top end of the fork unless as long as the bike is not liftet. Even with the jacked bike the spring is under load.

When you are not sure, if the fork oil has been done during the last years, you should change the oil. Problem with the oil weight is that each manufacturer has a different idea what e.g. 10wt means... with Motul, I think 10 or better the 15 would be fine. As long as the seals are not leaking, you can keep the old ones. I endet up with the expensive ones from SKF, as I was disappointed with the All Balls seals (slip stick).

To service the fork isn't too difficult and after some years it definately makes sense. With a bit of preload and heavier oil it should be better, at least it's worth a try.

Quite interesting are these valves you can add to the old forks, available at YSS and other suppliers.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:23 PM

You need 3/4" PVC and length depends on your bike.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1999
Garage
Thanks for the comments. Might be a while until I play with the front forks. I think I should get the rear shocks and then see how everything is feeling.

!999 VT1100C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page