bobber wiring - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

bobber wiring

I am working on a '02 ACE donor and bobbing it. I just installed a new E-Tank from TJBrutalcustoms.com. I have quite the spaghetti mess of wires now and I would really like to ditch what is not needed. I am running a stock headlight, autozone generic brake/license light, and no turn signals. I do have some LED turns that I might put on later, but not at this time. I am not running any extra electrical components. I switched over to a smaller AGM LIPO battery. I do have the wiring diagram, but I am looking for some one who has more expertise than I to let me know what I can ditch and what has to stay to run.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190408_075520.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	261688  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:41 AM

Idk if your bike has any of these, I haven't seen an ACE in my life, but I know people disabled overdrive, clutch and neutral switches in other shadows. You can start with that. The low fuel or fuel gauge is something a lot of people can also live without.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:46 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Here is a basic diagram I saved.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BASIC Custom_Motorcycle_Wiring_Diagram_by_Evan_Fell.png
Views:	25
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	261750  

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:35 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
First order of business is to find the bare minimum necessary to make the motor run.

If it has a fuel pump, you'll need to keep that circuit. Lights are not required to keep the motor running. The bike will not run without a sidestand switch or a neutral switch because if the Ignition Control Module doesn't see either the sidestand up, or the bike in neutral, it won't fire the plugs.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:24 PM

As long as the ICM sees the wire that should be to the side stand switch grounded it should run without it.
IIRC neutral start is the same, but you might want to keep that anyway.

Depending on where you live, the various safety interlock switches and lights may be required for a permit inspection if the bike is not already licensed.
Something to think about before simplifying.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSRoad View Post
As long as the ICM sees the wire that should be to the side stand switch grounded it should run without it.
IIRC neutral start is the same, but you might want to keep that anyway.

Depending on where you live, the various safety interlock switches and lights may be required for a permit inspection if the bike is not already licensed.
Something to think about before simplifying.

That's a good point about the ICM seeing the ground. Just for the hell of it, I may gather up the wiring diagrams and draw up the absolute minimum wiring needed to start and run the bike.

As for why the original poster replaced his battery with a smaller one has me stumped because the things he wants disconnected do not really have much in the way of current requirements.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:28 PM

I think that would be good resource for people having to start with the basics, for whatever reason.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Battery switch was required due to the removal of the stick under seat battery/ wiring. I switched to an aftermarket electrics tank and got the small LiPo battery which mounts into the small gap in the bottom of the frame. Im also relocating ignition button and kill switch to the side if the E-tank. Not sure if u should trace all my wires back to the battery, or just take the whole mess out and start from scratch. I'm really hoping someone on here has done this before and can get me going in the right direction
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmHotdog View Post
Battery switch was required due to the removal of the stick under seat battery/ wiring. I switched to an aftermarket electrics tank and got the small LiPo battery which mounts into the small gap in the bottom of the frame. Im also relocating ignition button and kill switch to the side if the E-tank. Not sure if u should trace all my wires back to the battery, or just take the whole mess out and start from scratch. I'm really hoping someone on here has done this before and can get me going in the right direction

What is an electrics tank?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Here is an example of an e tank. Imitates the look of an oil tank under the seat, but holds your wires and fuses.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p1080061_1555208698459.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	261880  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in