'04 sabre 1100 ran out of gas and now runs poorly - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Model: Sabre 1100
Year: 2004
'04 sabre 1100 ran out of gas and now runs poorly

I bought a 2004 Sabre 1100 about a month ago and I love it. It only has 12,000 miles on it and runs perfectly... until now. 2 days ago I went for a ride around town. I was in the process of passing a car when my motorcycle began to sputter and then shut off. I pulled into a parking lot and realized I was completely out of gas. I switched the petcock to reserve and made my way 100 feet down the road to the gas station. After I filled up, I switched the petcock back to ON and started the bike. It had some difficulty starting but I assumed that was because there was a lack of fuel somewhere in the system. It wasn't until I began riding home from the gas station that I noticed the bike wasn't running properly. Anytime I gave the bike more than half throttle the engine would sputter and die on me. Also, the bike now requires significantly more time with the choke fully on before I can shut it off and begin riding.

I did my fair share of research and found some threads with similar issues, but nothing exactly like mine (If there is a thread that already addresses a solution please link it below). Many forums say there was likely dirt or bad gas in the bottom of the tank and when I switched to RESERVE, that dirt got into the carbs. Some say I need to clean my carbs while others say the petcock filter or fuel filter needs to be cleaned.

I am comfortable doing my own repairs on my motorcycle, but I do not know what the issue at hand is and I don't want to go through the hassle of cleaning the carbs if that's not the culprit. I apologize for the essay but I figured the more detail the better. If you have any insight as to what my issue may be and what a possible solution is, please let me know.

Thanks,
Owen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:05 PM

Model: Spirit
Year: 2002
Garage
Maybe the new gas had a little water in it. The ethanol attracts moisture. Maybe drain the tank and fill with some different gas just to rule it out. Since bad gas is rare these days it's easy to overlook. If it isn't the gas then you probably shook some crud loose and lodged it in your carb. Do you have an inline filter? Seafoam or Chemtool B12 added to your fuel may clean it out if your lucky.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:59 PM

Model: VT700C
Year: 1984
Garage
You most likely sucked water into the carbs, on the float bowls there is a screw and a nipple sometimes there are hoses attached, if not put a piece on if you don't want gas and water dribbling on the motor.
Back the screw out on each carb till gas drains out, after it stops tighten the screw and start the engine.
I had this happen to my CB750 a couple times, damn ethanol, if the bike's been sitting a while the ethanol soaks up water and then sinks to the bottom and when you switch to reserve it sucks from the bottom of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190408_184559.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	261706  

Eventually the light always fails you.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesanders View Post
Maybe the new gas had a little water in it. The ethanol attracts moisture. Maybe drain the tank and fill with some different gas just to rule it out. Since bad gas is rare these days it's easy to overlook. If it isn't the gas then you probably shook some crud loose and lodged it in your carb. Do you have an inline filter? Seafoam or Chemtool B12 added to your fuel may clean it out if your lucky.
I know my sabre has a fuel filter, not sure if it's an inline filter. I've heard that B12 works some magic so I'll definitely drain the tank and give that a try. Thanks for the help!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
You most likely sucked water into the carbs, on the float bowls there is a screw and a nipple sometimes there are hoses attached, if not put a piece on if you don't want gas and water dribbling on the motor.
Back the screw out on each carb till gas drains out, after it stops tighten the screw and start the engine.
I had this happen to my CB750 a couple times, damn ethanol, if the bike's been sitting a while the ethanol soaks up water and then sinks to the bottom and when you switch to reserve it sucks from the bottom of the tank.
Good to know I'm not the only one who's having this problem haha. I'll take your word and drain the float bowls. Did you have to clean your carbs afterword or did just draining the bowls do the trick? Thanks.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:43 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
You might crank them full, and drain them again catching the gas, to see if there is water still being run into the carbs. Or take the fuel line off to the carbs and pump or drain some out and catch it in a glass jar to observe water on the bottom.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenjohnson0192 View Post
Good to know I'm not the only one who's having this problem haha. I'll take your word and drain the float bowls. Did you have to clean your carbs afterword or did just draining the bowls do the trick? Thanks.
As long as the filter did its job, you shouldn't have to clean them, swifty2014 raised a good point, drain into a container to see if there is water, I'd also take the fuel line off at the filter and switch it to reserve and drain about half a quart of fuel and see what comes out,

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Swifty and Ranma thanks for the help. I'll make sure I do that.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
Ranma, or anyone, do you know what size inner diamater I would need to connect a hose to the drain nipple?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenjohnson0192 View Post
Ranma, or anyone, do you know what size inner diamater I would need to connect a hose to the drain nipple?
I think 5/32nd ID vacuum hose should work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in