No Fork Oil??/Questionable Dealer - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Model: Shadow VLX
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
If a shock absorber on a car is very weak it can allow the tire to bounce more than it should and cause a cupping pattern in the tire tread. The bike would be the same. Tire wear maybe.

But unless the wheel is hopping up and down a huge amount it will never bend the wheel.

How many roads are very smooth and flat? With no pot holes.

Very few, and the wheels don't whack out from that just driving down the street.

What a crock.
That's what I thought, I couldn't grasp his idea of "no fork oil made the wheel wobble violently and go out of true."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilie View Post
Raise the front end to take the pressure off the front suspension and remove the top caps of the fork tubes. I don't know the exact amount you need in each but it will be a few inches down the tube. Be careful when removing the caps as they are under spring pressure. Also make sure to not get them cross threaded when reinstalling them.
Should the fork tubes be fully extended or compressed to check the oil level?

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:03 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Here is what the manual states.
4.4 inches Compressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fork oil.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	261920  

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yesterday I took off the fork tube caps and compressed the suspension, with the springs in the oil level was 3 inches below the top and with the springs out about 4.5 inches below the top. I already bought new seals and wipers as my old wiper seals were cracked and a quart of 15w Bel Ray fork oil. Never do business with the lying sobs at Honda Northwest in Crystal Lake, IL
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I also called my local Harley dealer and they said that the forks have nothing to do with the truing of the wheel.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
You should pour all the old oil out into a clear jar and take it into them and ask. "Does this look like the forks had too little oil"?
Idiots.
Accidently drop it on their floor, OH SH!T.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
You should pour all the old oil out into a clear jar and take it into them and ask. "Does this look like the forks had too little oil"?
Idiots.
Accidently drop it on their floor, OH SH!T.
I'd love to do that, spill it all over the little ******* in the parts department. I got back in contact with corporate and reported them. We shall see what happens, hope they fixed my wheel correctly.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Little update, replaced the fork seals and oil, (side note the 15w bel ray oil made a huge improvement) and the wheel is still out of true. Now it bobs up and down, have to wait till Monday to call corporate. As it looks I'm going to lose another month of riding.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:41 PM

Model: VT700 & NV750
Year: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberteli View Post
When they replaced my tires they never adjusted the chain, every little bump I'd go over there would be a clanking noise. I looked at the chain and there was about 2-2.5in of play. The bike was originally bought from this dealer in 2000. I have a feeling he's full of **** on the fork fluid too. How can I tell if there is any oil in the forks?
Easiest way is to replace it.

You've had the bike for two years - it's past due for replacing anyway!

I know many of our manuals don't list fork oil on the maintenance schedule, but consider this : It's cheap, replacing it is easy, it's subject to heating and shearing forces (thus suffers the same breakdown issues as engine oil albeit over a longer time frame), and your braking relies on having your suspension performing.

I'm one of the rare few who does this I know, but I strongly recommend at least changing it out every year if you ride often. People like Dave Moss recommend every 3 - 6 months, and from what I know racers do it every race (or every day) as their performance matters.

HTH
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:06 PM

Model: VT700 & NV750
Year: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberteli View Post
Little update, replaced the fork seals and oil, (side note the 15w bel ray oil made a huge improvement) and the wheel is still out of true. Now it bobs up and down, have to wait till Monday to call corporate. As it looks I'm going to lose another month of riding.
Just as an OOI, can you be sure it's the wheel itself and not the tyre?

I don't have "wheel tools" to hand, but if I was to suspect warpage I'd rig up a stand and put my wheel on it (with axle), so the axle is held and the wheel can rotate freely (with the wheel upright). You may be able to do this with the bike on the centre stand and the rear weighted or the front gently jacked up so the front wheel is clear of the ground. If you do it this way. also "lock" the steering in place so it won't turn left-right (I'll leave this up to you to figure out )

I'd make another stand to hold a rod that sits just inside the rim and is just clear of the rim. Slowly rotate the wheel and see if the position of the rim changes in relation to the rod. If you have a significant change of position then you know the wheel is out of true, otherwise you'll see that it is the tyre that is out (check the marker line around the tyre that should line up with the rim).

It's a crude rig that might not 'stand up in court', but it should be enough to tell you for certain if it is the rim or the tyre.

Also pay attention to your wheel bearings while doing this. It should be damned obvious if they're damaged and causing a similar effect, but I have known a couple of cases where a bearing is damaged in a way that can't be seen or felt by hand but shows up under load.

HTH.

Last edited by KiwiRider; 04-20-2019 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Type oh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page